PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty red delicious apple, and have a third of a bowl left of year 2021 first production Watch City Simply Orange Virginia in a black sandblast medium bend Peterson POTY 4AB No. 182/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. I posted the wrong POY last time.
4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg

This is the premium sand blast that I smoked earlier.
4AB_PSB_left.jpg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Early 60’s era Edgeworth Ready Rub in in a Smith House Pipes natural bulldog dedicated to this blend.

View attachment 326169
Ohhh .... this was my Grandfather's tobacco, purchased in a can. And same time frame. I've got some RR Match out of nostalgia. He said he couldn't smoke Aro's. I loved the pic.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Thank you for that. I know there are a fair amount of pet owners on forums who like reading the stories. I like reading others' stories as well.
Since you like (cat) stories, this one's for you. My "lady friend" lives in Northern VA, just across the Potomac from DC. Two years ago, she got a 4mo old male cat to fill the very sad hole in her life after losing her almost 17yr old loving companion (a male). Over more than 35 years, she mostly had males. So after over a year, with the belief that cats do better with two as opposed to being just one in a household, last Nov she adopted a female, almost the same age within days. In April this year, I visited her (from MN) for couple weeks to assist her with a knee replacement -- her family & friends were no option. I learned that the male cat, as opposed to enjoying having the female as a buddy, hadn't gotten over resentment, chases her, harasses her, until she's had enough & whacks him. Peaceful coexistence is a rarity. But it turned out that she really took a liking to me. I slept on the couch, not wanting to hinder the post-surgery knee situation, and the first night, she slept on top of me -- female cat (Raina), not lady friend. It turned out she really liked me, constantly stayed nearby, accepted all petting & rubbing & brushing from me, never once hissing nor whacking me. I took over all her feeding, so we immediately developed routines. I've never had a cat. BenMN can vouch for my history with dachshunds. My lady friend & I loosely talked about how it would probably not be a loss for her male cat to have the place to himself again, albeit nothing concrete. After returning to MN, she told me it was obvious Raina clearly missed me. She said she'd always heard that male cats tend to bond with women while female cats tend to bond more readily with men. Another short visit in June after she lost her sister had the same dynamic. We sort of danced around the question of how Raina would adapt to a new home in MN, with me (of course) obtaining a cat tree or two, toys, couple beds, everything. But again, nothing concrete. Hmm .... anybody have travel plans from VA to MN?
Pic shows Raina sitting with me during my early morning mug of coffee. Lady friend says Raina has never reached out to touch her like she's doing with me, although the male cat does. Thought you'd like the pic.

Off Topic question:
Have followed the WAYS threads since Feb, but don't recall if you've ever posted anything about a Cob, amidst so many fantastic pipes you show. I'm assuming, however, over the years, you've had many hours with them, right?

1721882280884.png

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Down Yonder in a straight black 1963 Dunhill LB Shell 4S billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. This will finish the tin. Dunno what I'll smoke in the Dunhill set next as I am taking a break from this blend. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Dunhill_1963_LB_billiard.jpg
Dunhill_1963_Full_Case_Close.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Since you like (cat) stories, this one's for you. My "lady friend" lives in Northern VA, just across the Potomac from DC. Two years ago, she got a 4mo old male cat to fill the very sad hole in her life after losing her almost 17yr old loving companion (a male). Over more than 35 years, she mostly had males. So after over a year, with the belief that cats do better with two as opposed to being just one in a household, last Nov she adopted a female, almost the same age within days. In April this year, I visited her (from MN) for couple weeks to assist her with a knee replacement -- her family & friends were no option. I learned that the male cat, as opposed to enjoying having the female as a buddy, hadn't gotten over resentment, chases her, harasses her, until she's had enough & whacks him. Peaceful coexistence is a rarity. But it turned out that she really took a liking to me. I slept on the couch, not wanting to hinder the post-surgery knee situation, and the first night, she slept on top of me -- female cat (Raina), not lady friend. It turned out she really liked me, constantly stayed nearby, accepted all petting & rubbing & brushing from me, never once hissing nor whacking me. I took over all her feeding, so we immediately developed routines. I've never had a cat. BenMN can vouch for my history with dachshunds. My lady friend & I loosely talked about how it would probably not be a loss for her male cat to have the place to himself again, albeit nothing concrete. After returning to MN, she told me it was obvious Raina clearly missed me. She said she'd always heard that male cats tend to bond with women while female cats tend to bond more readily with men. Another short visit in June after she lost her sister had the same dynamic. We sort of danced around the question of how Raina would adapt to a new home in MN, with me (of course) obtaining a cat tree or two, toys, couple beds, everything. But again, nothing concrete. Hmm .... anybody have travel plans from VA to MN?
Pic shows Raina sitting with me during my early morning mug of coffee. Lady friend says Raina has never reached out to touch her like she's doing with me, although the male cat does. Thought you'd like the pic.

Off Topic question:
Have followed the WAYS threads since Feb, but don't recall if you've ever posted anything about a Cob, amidst so many fantastic pipes you show. I'm assuming, however, over the years, you've had many hours with them, right?

View attachment 326178
Sometimes, it takes a long time for cats to get along. The first cat had a year of no other cat in the house, and that period of time occasionally makes the former to accept any others. I've seen examples of near-instant bonding, too. And more often than not, cats pick one human over another.

Great photo. Thank you for the story.

I have about 30 cobs, but I don't smoke them much these days, and some are unsmoked. I like to clench, and the stems won't take that long term, and I'm not buying Forever Stems, so I don't think about cobs very often. I do have a couple cobs that I smoked Lakeland blends in, but I haven't smoked those type of blends in a long time. In any event, I much prefer briars to anything else.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am not far from finishing this bowl from a freshly opened pouch of year 2012 Prince Albert in a straight smooth walnut 1927 KBB Kaywoodie Drinkless 86 dublin with a tapered black vulcanite stem. This model was only made in 1927. I've been smoking PA out of a 2019 tub for a while, but I found this box of PA today, and decided to open it. The pouch inside it wasn't sealed, but the tobacco was still fresh and moist.
Kaywoodie_Dublin 86_1927.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of year 2020 D&R Raccoon’s Delight in my very reliable smooth straight post-1938 pre-Republic Peterson Sterling Canadian 263 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. With any luck, I can end the day with this smoke. A few hours ago, I brought Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave in to eat. Harry the Hairy ate outside. We've had a lot of hard rain this evening, so I have kept them in, and just fed them again. The rain has stopped, and I'll put Tomato out when I go to bed. He's snoozin' on a cat nip toy he was playing with. Daisy is snoozin' on her favorite blanket. Sleepy Suzy is by my side, and Molly Danger is sleeping in the bedroom. I have four more baseball box scores to read, and then I'll do some other reading. A pipe and a good book is a natural pleasure for me.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling263.jpg