PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
When they were first released, I was debating getting one of two Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Limited Edition pipes (there were fifty smooth pipes in the numbered edition; the rest of the run, about 150 or so, sandblasted and not numbered). I really liked the idea of getting the No. 1, but I couldn’t justify the expenditure at the time; in addition, the shape was a 904 KS (with a saddle stem), and I find the more recent shaping of the 904 a little clunky as compared to the sleeker, more graceful early versions. This made me hesitate. No. 2 was a 920 KS, a shape I didn’t have, but getting number 2/50 seemed a little less interesting than 1/50. This made me hesitate. Both shapes are favourites of Luisa Bozzetti, the now retired factory manager of Savinelli for whom the line of pipes is named.

The grain on both pipes was better than usual and both were originally intended to be Giubileo d’Oro releases, but they had small flaws on the shanks that prevented them from achieving that high grade. Rather than relegating these pipes to the sandblasting assigned to the unnumbered portion of the run, they were given .925 silver bands to cover the flaws and remained smooth and were issued in custom wooden boxes (I believe the other forty-eight smooth pipes were issued in blue leather boxes, much like the Punto Oro releases).

Anyway, I waited too long, and both disappeared from the site. End of debate. He who hesitates is lost. However, the 920 KS reappeared about a month ago and I was able to reserve it and now have it in hand (it may have been held back for the archives at Savinelli, then they decided against that, if I understand what was explained to me). Anyway, that’s the back story on this particular pipe.

I’m going to have Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Bent Dublin 920 KS, No. 2 of 50 (unfiltered stem). The black bag is similar, but a thicker, rougher material than the one my 60th Birthday pipe came in.

View attachment 231903

View attachment 231904

View attachment 231905

View attachment 231906

View attachment 231907

View attachment 231908
HOT DAMN! Sweet pipe indeed! While reading your post I was thinking "no - you didn't!" anticipating you were going to say you just went and bot both!

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
St. Bernard Flake in my BST bent billiard.

43-F1169-F-A901-40-EB-947-C-802-C3-A6-A1-F33.png
Gotta say that your consistency with you shots is remarkable. At first I thought you were just using the same picture for each pipe but when I checked they’re actually different. It’s so consistent though that even side be side you could be fooled it was the same photo. 👏

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
HOT DAMN! Sweet pipe indeed! While reading your post I was thinking "no - you didn't!" anticipating you were going to say you just went and bot both!
Yeah @TheIronMonkey, why didn’t you buy both? I thought you were cool… 😉

Where do you see these super limited Savs? I don’t think I’ve seen them on SP; are they just on Savinelli’s website? And how did you fall in love with Savinelli in the first place?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of Watch City Queequeg’s Moby Dick Series in a straight brown sandblasted post-WWII family era Sasieni “Canadian” London Made with a sterling silver band with a tapered black vulcanite twin bore stem. Going to work soon.
Sasieni “Canadian”-blast_ss band.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I've only been smoking pipes for a couple months. Initially I really gravitated towards aros. Sutliff D40, Old Toby, Eileen's Dream, Second Breakfast. I had a couple non aros but I really wasn't a fan and the wife liked the aro room note. One night I decided to go back and try another bowl of Plum Pudding and I fell in love. Not sweet like an aro but the flavor was so good! So today I hit the store and grabbed a couple more Seattle Pipe Club tins. Tonight it's Rainers Levant is my Dagner Poker. Any other non aro recommendation would be much appreciated!View attachment 231993

Ahh a sailing winch, on the forum, first time seeing this.. LOL 😆

Not to toot my own sailor whistle, I was just lucky as a kid growing up with a father that had a love for boats and sailing. Later in life he retired, and I lived on his boat with him about 2 years and we sailed about 4000 nautical miles together through the pacific.

I later left my dad, and sailed on to Japan, where I then added up sailing in total 6000 nautical miles.

I’ll never forget it, this is me on the boat, in New Zealand a long time ago.

In the land of @Ahi Ka LOL 😆

E7CD85D4-C23D-4E4F-B0FB-56D48A51274C.jpeg

Happy Sailing! ❤️

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Gotta say that your consistency with you shots is remarkable. At first I thought you were just using the same picture for each pipe but when I checked they’re actually different. It’s so consistent though that even side be side you could be fooled it was the same photo. 👏

Thank you! Yes, I take a pic each night of whatever I’m smoking. Light up, set it down, turn to my right, and snap the pic.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am a quarter of the way through this bowl of Wilke Coronado Oriental in a straight black sandblasted undated, unbranded Made in France short shank billiard with a long black vulcanite tapered stem. Working and listening to the Dodgers-Angels game on the XM. Shy Stripesy made an appearance a few minutes ago, and when she started to run under the deck, I started talking to her, and she stopped to listen. After a couple of minutes, I went back inside because she won't eat around humans, at least not at this house. Stripesy not hiding was very unusual, and I don't expect her to get social with me, but it was appreciated.
France_SBbilliard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.