PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
HH Balkan in a Qipeng Wei. Reading my work email outside.

I don’t know about you all, but sometimes I kind of resent these limited edition midnight drop deals. (Not talking about HH Balkan) As much as I like the companies and blenders that make them, they are praying on peoples fear of missing out and promoting hoarding. Also, I have a hard time just buying one tin when shipping is practically the cost of a second tin, so then I wind up getting 10 tins to get free shipping! You see where I’m going with this?

I’d rather see one great blend that sticks around then a series of limited editions.

I LOVE ALL THE HH blends for this reason, I just wish Rustica wasn’t a limited one. I get that if they can only get a small amount of special leaf then it has to be limited, but I can’t help but think this is a marketing gimmick to get people to hoard.

I’m curious on others thoughts on this, I am by no means an industry insider, this is just a novice consumer’s reflections.

PS: HH Balkan is one of the smoothest blends I’ve ever smoked, all the components meld perfectly. Truly an expertly crafted tobacco.

View attachment 236098
I think they make so many blends as limited editions because FDA approval is required for a tobacco that’s put into constant production, I questioned Sutliff about this because I wanted more Uno from the Birds of a Feather series and there’s more to releasing a blend than meets the eye. Your lucky, being in the UK I have to set my alarm for 4:50 to put in a order 😉

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with a sliced peach and unsalted peanuts on the side. I've about a third of a bowl left of Peretti Royal in a black sandblasted medium bend 2013 Mark Tinsky Coral 5 cherrywood with a smooth dark brown shank and bottom with a tapered black briar accented acrylic stem. Larry's espresso #9, neat, is my drink. Going to work soon.
Tinsky_Cherrywood.jpg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I don’t resent them at all. Pipe smokers are such a small niche I’m grateful to be marketed towards. I’m somewhat surprised at the amount of choice we have and welcome more.

I especially appreciate manufacturers who take the time to source high quality single crop/vintage tobacco, like C&D does for Carolina Red Flake. One of the big reasons McClelland stopped was because they couldn’t find the quality leaf they wanted. So I am thankful there is still an effort to cultivate relationships with farmers to produce a high quality tobacco, like Jeremy Reeves does with his Perique. Would we rather not have the effort put in?

If there is not enough to make a regular blend I’ll take the limited amount I can. There are soooo many regular blends to choose from. This topic kind of ties in to Cosmic’s post about “premium”.
I can get behind your point of view. I don’t like the hoarding mindset it creates for me. Maybe it doesn’t do that for you. I have a hard time resisting spending outside of my budget because I may not have another chance to buy the blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking year 2020 Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Working and listening to Crime Classics from my radio collection. It's one of top radio series for me.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I can get behind your point of view. I don’t like the hoarding mindset it creates for me. Maybe it doesn’t do that for you. I have a hard time resisting spending outside of my budget because I may not have another chance to buy the blend.
A lottery system would be preferable if there is limited supply. Sign up over a week, and find out whenever you wake up on the release date if you were lucky or not.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I think they make so many blends as limited editions because FDA approval is required for a tobacco that’s put into constant production, I questioned Sutliff about this because I wanted more Uno from the Birds of a Feather series and there’s more to releasing a blend than meets the eye. Your lucky, being in the UK I have to set my alarm for 4:50 to put in a order 😉
Good to know, this makes sense and maybe the it’s just how this stuff has to work. I appreciate the quality blends, that is for sure,

Status
Not open for further replies.