PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Hey @Birddog66. How did the stoved Louisiana Flake turn out? Does it bring the chocolate notes out even more?

It does bring out the chocolate more which surprised me actually, it also brings the fruit out a little more while reducing the grass and hay on the nose. image.jpgI have to leave yesterday’s in the jar for a couple of weeks but here’s a comparison, the stoved is on the left. image.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Thank you, it took quite a long time to find, all of my Longchamps are great smokers, I would recommend them but I don’t want the competition on eBay.
I’ve come close to purchasing one (not an alligator) on several occasions but I’ve always ended up balking. I get a bit intimidated thinking about restoring and cleaning them but I’m sure I’ll get one eventually.For now I’m enjoying your fine collection vicariously.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
It does bring out the chocolate more which surprised me actually, it also brings the fruit out a little more while reducing the grass and hay on the nose. View attachment 89488I have to leave yesterday’s in the jar for a couple of weeks but here’s a comparison, the stoved is on the left. View attachment 89488
That sounds terrific and right up my alley. How long did you stove and at what temperature?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
That sounds terrific and right up my alley. How long did you stove and at what temperature?
I put it in at 80C for three hours, because it was loose I popped it in a old Savinelli tin with a very tiny hole pierced in the base in case of pressure build up, that’s not necessary if you’re using a tobacco in a vacuum sealed tin.
I have to give props to @simong to turning me on to the process ??. His stoved Capstan Blue is amazing, ditto the Escudo.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
image.jpgAfternoon everyone, I started the day with some HU Tillerman and followed it up with HU Sunset in the Grabow CDL the latter was definitely the better of the two for my taste.
I’m now enjoying Savinelli Jupiter in the Jima 2000, this is my favourite burley based blend (along with Eight State). Other burleys don’t really do it for me, although my experience with them is limited, I think it might be the age of the leaf used. I can’t find fault with the Jupiter, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.