PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I recently did some deep-cleaning on my #1 cob. Plenty of alcohol-soaked pipe cleaners through the shank/stem and some reaming to restore the taste to neutral-ish, and I just finished cleaning 23 years of lava off the rim. puffy

EB7EBAD1-973D-4C93-A803-4BA3D5DE250A.jpeg

Now smoking straight C&D White Burley in it. I’ve smoked a bunch of burley blends over the years, but nothing you could truly call “unflavored.” So I was really interested in finding out what it tasted like on its own. I was expecting it to be really mild in flavor and perhaps a little “nutty.” What’s surprising is that I’m getting some cigar-like notes out of it! I double-checked TR to see if anyone else had had that impression, and from skimming all the reviews, I’m reasonably sure I got the right stuff. Of the 3 component tobaccos I’ve tried so far, this is the one I’m least excited to smoke again straight, although I should in order to educate my palate. Sorry for the novel, haha.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking D&R Windsail in a smooth straight dark brown family era “Canadian” by Sasieni with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Off to work on a new Nevada Jones and Archie story. This one is being done to insure copyright on the Nevada Jones character.
Sasieni "Canadian".jpg

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Star of the East Flake in a Kaywoodie shape 07 straight billiard. I have about half a dozen jars that have like 2 bowls worth of tobacco left in each. It is now my mission to smoke through those and maybe a few others so I can try some new blends. I've gotten so many tins I wanna crack and I've already got way too many mason jars.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
How was the straight Izmir?
Everything you’re about to read is based off of only one bowl, but I have to answer the question so here it goes: Enjoyable! It was fun to recognize the flavor from smoking blends like Oriental Silk and Orions Arrow. It’s educational for me to smoke a single strain and I enjoy the flavors from a single strain/type of tobacco.

The flavors got torched when I got the bowl too hot but a return to sipping brought back the nuance of the flavors. There was some spice, some occasional tang, and flavors I can’t describe. I really enjoyed it and will smoke some more.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Going to have Dan Tobacco Devil’s Holiday in my earliest Eugène-Léon Ropp pipe, a Cherrywood with a Natural Horn Stem. It’s stamped “Bussang,” so, it’s very likely it was made at Ropp’s original workshop there between 1870–1893.

IMG_20230102_011748.jpg

IMG_20230102_011805.jpg

There’s a natural notch on the right side. I believe this piece of wood was selected so that the smoker’s right index finger fits in that groove for a perfect grip. Unfortunately, I’m left handed, but, I usually switch hands with this pipe for the comfortable grip.

IMG_20230102_011912.jpg

IMG_20230102_011940.jpg

Below is a Savinelli 320 KS shown next to the Ropp for scale:

IMG_20230102_012027.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of a bowl left of Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just want to say, thank you all for making this a great place to be a part of, and I sincerely mean that! 🙏 ❤️

Don’t let life run you ragged, and I truly hope in this New Year, especially for those that haven’t been, for whatever reasons, find a way to cherish each day, and live it, one day at a time! ❤️

I hope the first day of 2023 was nothing short of great for you! ❤️

Be well everyone, have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! 🥳 🎈🎊🎆

Starting off the New Year with my first smoke, 2020 Samuel Gawith Golden Glow, gifted here from Secret Santa, in a Bay Denmark Apple with a cumberland stem.

Gawith should of called this stuff the Golden Goose, LOL. 😆 Just grand, a Golden Goose in disguise! ;)

03308482-FE14-46D7-8458-8C27E9129E4F.jpeg

P.S. Look at the candle and BREATHE for 2023! ;)

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and smoked a bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.