PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
But what does that mean? It’s 134 miles to Atlanta from me, but I have yet to name anything 134.
Yes, it's unusual for a blend to have a number attached but not unique and there's a bunch from Solani for example that may or may not have interesting or boring stories attached to their numbers.

The most famous blends with numbers are without doubt the Dunhill MY MIXTURE blends ...
1643160876952.png
1643160914509.png
... with blending done on the premises at the flagship store and I still remember the tobacco bar in the late 1970s. I never had my own number, preferring instead those few blends from the book that were produced for anyone that wanted them including these three ...
1643160516459.png1643160557231.png

... plus of course #965.

More detail on the famous book and the blending bar courtesy Pipedia
"Each customer could come and create his own recipe, noted in a little book entitled “My Mixture.” This is a prime example of Dunhill’s ability to tailor itself to the customer’s needs.
Developed in 1907, the Mixtures guide by Alfred Dunhill, the "My Mixture Book ", came to count 36,700 variations. Always attentive to the details, he talked to all the customers and noted the preferences with precise indications.
Whatever the tastes of customers, the tobacco desk can cope, for it offers a unique hand blending service. Each customer can create their own mixture. Each order is written into an enormous book that sits behind the desk. The ‘My Mixture’ book was begun by Alfred Dunhill shortly after he opened the shop and contains the personal blends of some of London’s most notable figures, including various Kings and Queens (including Queen Victoria), Rudyard Kipling and JB Priestley. Despite suffering bomb damage during the Second World War, it is still very much in use today. A quick glance through the most recent pages reveals an internationally diverse range of customers with very definite tastes.
The ‘My Mixture’ book symbolises Alfred Dunhill’s smoking products operation, for in the course of serving customers it has become a piece of history itself. Each page of the book seems imbued with Alfred Dunhill’s personality. Indeed, from the pipe manufacturing processes used in Walthamstow to the ambience of the Duke Street shop, Alfred Dunhill the man is visible everywhere."

The Worldwide Pipe Smoker's Magazine (1993)

"Since the founding of the company, My Mixture blends were available and the recipes were stored in a book. Beginning in the early 2000s, Dunhill ceased keeping records or recipes for custom blends in its shops. In 2005, Dunhill suspended the sale of tobacco-related products.
At the beginning of the 2000s, Mr Burrows (a longtime collaborator who supervised the mixtures) related that the book still existed, but it was not in Dunhill's possession. He also said that British American Tobacco (the company that owned the rights to all Dunhill tobaccos for quite some time as “Rothman’s” before they merged) owned the book as well as controlled the production of present Dunhill tobaccos (though Dunhill still makes its pipes). BAT will not release it or its contents to anyone. He has tried several times to convince BAT to release the My Mixture recipes to him while still allowing them to retain ownership of the book, but BAT declined."

@cshubhra I volunteer with Don Catchment Rivers Trust doing river clean-up work. I like getting my waders on and going in the water!
More about our work here:
I've alreday fell in once and got water inside my waders!
See my picture here:
Continue doing the good work ?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm part way through this bowl of year 2013 Capstan Blue in a smooth dark brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam 340 patent billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Cleaning the 4ABs I smoked so I can take a photo of the Peterson Sherlock Holmes rack a couple of friends bought me.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_340.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.