Kansas City Missouri
SG St. James in a Former.

0907201301017__25685.1440820716.JPG
Great looking pipe!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Back home free from a long 12 h drive yesterday, (I only had 1 toscani cigar with me)now having my first bowl of the day:Amphora Original brown in a Stanwell Regd era Hand made' Selected Briar model 61 medium billiard
View attachment 122557
Nice pipe!
I’m really enjoying the few registration era Stanwells I’ve got- very good value for dollar in my opinion

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Still snowed and iced in, but I managed to get it all off our cars. My back sez the driveway will have to melt on its own. Fed two ferals, too. Just about finished smoking this bowl from a first production tin (2013) of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't think the two have much in common. The Doblone is really dominated by the Virginia and Perique, Solani Silver is much richer and the DFK is a leading player. Just MHO.

That's not to say the Doblone isn't a fine blend, it is an excellent VaPer. Just not much similarity to Solani Silver.
I agree with you. Btw, I have heard a report today that Solani Silver Flake has been changed. My friend, who is quite upset, is sending me the tin he opened so I can see for myself. He said the Virginias were lower in quality and he couldn't find any Kentucky in the mix. I know your cellar is well stocked, but I will let you know what I think when I get the tobacco, which, hopefully, will be later this week.

Doblone d'Oro has changed since its initial release in 2014. Less perique, more DFK. This particular switch is not unique these days.

Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Some more Weinig no 7 in a GL - George Leousis pipe. I got this last July. George (in Greek, the name is "Yorgos") has a special ability, a special gift I could say. You can describe him very generally what you have imagined, what is your wish for your next pipe, perhaps show him one or two photos that have only some similarity and you can rest assured that in a couple of days he will come back to you, with a proposal that is not just the idea you had exactly but with a better, improved version of it. In the end (pretty fast) he will deliver a great pipe, both aesthetically and technically.
The pipe is resting on a new "stand". I found somewhere a piece of strap and by the help of my friends, the Bangladeshi tailors, Mr Islam and his colleagues, this practical, portable and durable stand was created. Islam is running his small business, a shop called "The Wise Scissors", for many years in our neighborhood. He is a good man, always smiling and polite. He does excellent work (mostly clothe repairs) at more than fair prices and everybody loves him.
So, thank you George for the pipe, thank you Islam for the stand and thank you Forum for letting me write down random thoughts and feelings I have as I prepare, light and smoke my pipe...

Ah! the charm of the ephemeral...

Be all well and safe good people.

Weinig no 7 in GL.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.