PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yeah, a long time ago, in an online chat, Fred Bass claimed that Pioneer made the best pressed meerschaum bowls; so good, they took on nice coloring (in their own distinctive way). He went on to say that some folks mistake them for block meerschaum, but Pioneer was not known for using block for any of their pipes.
Pioneer did use block meerschaum as well. Their original advertising as well as the tags inside the pipe cases clearly state that it is block when that is the case. Unfortunately there isn’t any stamping on the pipes themselves to tell you which it is.

I’ve restored a couple of old Pioneers which included reshaping damaged parts of the bowl and they were definitely not a composite.

Smoking John Cotton’s Double Pressed Virginia in a Willmer Canadian shape.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Crashing away coloring this meerschaum 'cutty' and too date we have moved down the stem almost to the bowl. I seem to be getting the best results with G&H Plug supplied by that well known tobacconist Mr. Weezell. I will post some progress pictures in the morning. Right now I am on my last bowl of the day which is Coniston Cut Plug and I am smoking that in my 100+ year old Devil Arse pipe.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
CONDOR Plug in a Meer...
feAbUOu.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed an hour and half with this bowl of FVF in a smooth 2002 medium bend eight sided panel top straight grain Rinaldo Collection Silver Line F Egea 05 Titania bulldog with a black acrylic stem. Deciding on my next smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Pioneer did use block meerschaum as well. Their original advertising as well as the tags inside the pipe cases clearly state that it is block when that is the case. Unfortunately there isn’t any stamping on the pipes themselves to tell you which it is.

I’ve restored a couple of old Pioneers which included reshaping damaged parts of the bowl and they were definitely not a composite.

Smoking John Cotton’s Double Pressed Virginia in a Willmer Canadian shape.

That's good info. Thanks.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
2011 Esoterica Stonehaven in a older Pete 05. This SH tastes very similar to SG Best Brown - just a little "softer," - a delightful blend ( thanks to treacle). A Paulaner beer only makes it better.

IMO SH needs age on it - 5-8 years at least, when it's fresh I dislike it.

I do like it fresh, but age makes it very special.

Status
Not open for further replies.