PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
IMG_4226 Large.jpeg

I have inadvertently dedicated my Blue Forever Cob to the Lane section of my cellar. Today's matchup is some three-year-old 1-Q. I didn't mean to age it, I just moved on to other varieties and am now circling back. After enjoying this bowl, I wouldn't necessarily buy any 1-Q to age, but I am glad I still have this jar.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Soldiers stand guard outside a gunpowder arsenal.

Although an integral part of seventeenth century armies were gunpowder weapons, soldiers had to be careful when handling the dangerous substance. The ignorant or inexperienced soldiers could easily ignite the powder and cause severe injuries to themselves or their comrades. If they didn’t accidentally blow themselves up they could carelessly leave it exposed to rain, thus ruining the powder before it could be used in battle. Officers had to choose trustworthy guards to reduce the risks of keeping gunpowder, but despite their best efforts there were still many accidents throughout the Civil Wars.

One example of this was at Hoghton Tower in Lancashire. After Royalist officer Captain Starker captured the tower he began looting it with his men. One of his men found a room and took the time to light his pipe for a quick smoke. But what he had failed to realise was that he standing in the Parliamentarian gunpowder store, and the sparks from lighting the pipe ignited all the powder. The explosion destroyed the arsenal as well as killing himself, the captain and sixty other soldiers. The Parliamentarians commented on this incident with joy, stating that:

“O that this thundering alarm might ever sound in the ears of our Swearing, Cursing, Drunken, Tobacco-abusing commanders and soldiers.”

From Earl of Manchester's Regiment of Foote - definitely a smoking related death and an example of the dangers of smoking!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
It is a pleasant afternoon here in the great pacific northwest! not warm, not too cold, not too windy, nice overcast... a classic any-day-of-the-year kind of day. ;-)
HH Pure Virginia Flake in a no name 1960s vintage 'Imported Briar' wormy-carved billiard with vulcanite stem; with decaf au lait and lots of water.
IMG_3107.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I went to finish yesterday's bowl of Visions of Celephaïs, and discovered that that there was little left but ash. After some unhappy spitting, I packed a bowl of 2017 Dunhill Nightcap in the "English" cob, and shoveled a bunch of heavy slush off the sidewalk. I'll be feeling that tomorrow!

cob_nc_0209.jpg

Tasting-wise, I got a lot of the Orientals, but not as much from the Latakia. I'm curious if that is really because they have softened that much after 5 years, or if it's from smoking straight Izmir in this pipe recently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.