PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I see that one is a 2 Star Lee. I have always found the use of 'Stars' sort of amusing. In the U.K Petrol Stations (gas translated into American speak) fuel was sold as 2 through 4 star petrol. Two Star being the lower octane grade and 4 Star being the higher octane grade. Both my Matchless and my Brough would only run on 3 Star otherwise you would burn out the valve seating and valves. Many Petrol Stations didn't carry 3 Star so you had to buy a gallon of 2 Star and a gallon of 4 Star to get 2 gallons of 3 Star and make sure you shook the tank well to mix it well up. Now if you took a 3 Star Lee pipe and crossed it with a 2 Star you would get .......Lol. Very nice pipe though I must say!
Would that be a Brough Superior, if so do you have any pictures? One of the most beautiful bikes ever produced imo.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I would have a tough time deciding which is my favorite. The ones with boy scouts is great. And veterans. And fishermen. And prayer at Thanksgiving, or in the diner. Yeah. I don't think I could choose just one! He was a fine American artist. And a pipe smoker. He's ours!

It may be in the 1947 book collecting Rockwell's illustrations for The Saturday Evening Post (I don't have it handy right now), but, I remember loving an April Fools painting he did where you had to spot all sorts of mistakes; I'm not sure it's my fave, but, I remember it being great fun.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Just finished smoking year 2016 Orlik Golden Sliced in an early 20th century Gordon Special Bruyere 49 apple with a triangular shank and black vulcanite stem. Have a little more work to do.
View attachment 127277
Very interesting pipe Jim. I don’t remember seeing this one before.
I really like the canted bowl with the triangular shank and that nicely tapered stem.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Breaking in a new AKB meerschaum right now. With Old Gowrie and an apple cider to accompany it. Hopefully this pipe will serve me well for years. I am going to try to smoke this as much as possible the coming weeks.

Attachments

• 20220209_155641.jpg
    20220209_155641.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
It may be in the 1947 book collecting Rockwell's illustrations for The Saturday Evening Post (I don't have it handy right now), but, I remember loving an April Fools painting he did where you had to spot all sorts of mistakes; I'm not sure it's my fave, but, I remember it being great fun.
The one I have framed right now is Walk in the Country, and I have Freedom of Religion, and Gone Fishing. I also have his autobiography, "My Adventures as an Illustrator". Very interesting man.

Status
Not open for further replies.