PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
That three legged symbol is actually the flag of the Isle of Man. It’s a small island between Britain and Ireland and it’s where the TT motorcycle race is held. I can see why you’d think it aboriginal though. I wonder if the pipe was a special edition, The I o M has a ancient Celtic heritage.
... and called a Triskelion (Greek triskeles = three-legged)

c.1270-1300
1614166793679.png1614167277453.png

Adapted by benign groups and seen in popular culture - such as the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
1614166115942.png1614166281063.png

... during its long history the symbol has also been adapted by far from benign groups such as the Afrikaner Resistance Movement

1614165744446.png

From the 1978/79 Peterson & Glass catalogue the rough hewn look of the meerschaum 'Aboriginal' can be compared to the 'Sculptured' briar ...
20210224_055940.jpg 20210224_060320.jpg

... and not forgetting the Tanganyika Meerschaum Company/Amboseli 'Caveman'
1614170492392.png

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Oh exactly on the Isle of Man, I have watched videos of the TT many times; however, the pipe was manufactured at Laxey Pipe Factory on the Isle of Man. The factory made pipes from Tanzanian Meerschaum for the following houses; Manxman, Manxland, Man Pipes, etc. They also made them for Peterson.

The style of rustication is referred to as Aboriginal.

I own Peterson’s made from Turkish Meer as well.

Here’s a bit on the factory and another Aboriginal.

View attachment 67650View attachment 67651
And another Peterson Meer
View attachment 67652
And here’s a real Pete Meer from 1904
View attachment 67653

Believe me I’m grateful for comments on my posts and trying to correct me, on this one I’ve done my research. I’m not trying to be a douche.
Thanks for the schooling, I think I’ve seen that mark before on a pipe online and mistaken it for the Rattray symbol. Is there any reason they only carved Tanganyikan briar you’re aware of and are they still making them for anyone?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m trying my first bowl of Marlin Flake in the Ornsby Pipe right now. Only just lit up so can’t form an opinion yet but so far so good.
I realised I totally misread Ashdiggers post and referred to Tanganyikan briar instead of Meer, I had no idea Tanganyika had meerschaum to be honest but it makes sense as I believe Turkey still has a ban on exporting Meer for carving.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It certainly led me to try EGR and now it’s my favorite morning smoke, when I get one. It will always be in my “rotation” and many of us are thankful for your efforts to keep it alive. It is, literally, the only blend I will smoke with Latakia and I hate that stuff!
That means a lot to me. Thank you for very kind words.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Good morning all. Thanks to @coming to_falling too and @gamzultovah for your helpful responses to my Luxury Bullseye Flake issue. I will consider your options and suggestions. This morning I'm starting with my tried and trusted. The Amphora Burley in an MM Country Gentleman.
I'll throw my two cents in, too. Fresh, LBF is very grassy and acidic. With five years or more age, the acidity and grass settle down, and you get a deeper, more refined flavor, too.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Peterson Perfect Plug now in a Falcon Genoa Bantam, this bowl is perfect for this tobacco and I think I’ll keep these two together. This tobacco is helping me to learn to sip and take my time over a bowl and not suck at it greedily. That and the invaluable advice I’ve received from fellow members of course. View attachment 67734
Over the decades I learned how to become “one with the pipe” till now I forget it is even in my mouth. It is...beautiful. By the way, that’s a cool set up you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.