BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
Kendal Kentucky in a 20s Rua

oT0VMDBh.jpg

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
How do those flakes burn in the stacked billiard? Do you find any particular cut (ribbon/flake/cube etc) is best in that size/shape?
To be honest, I have a hard time with stacks, especially ones with narrow chambers. The Becker has an almost 1” bore so it accepts most cuts well (though dense flakes will smoke for an inordinately long time).
BECKER:
IMG_0425.jpeg
My ED BURAK is much the same:
IMG_3654.jpeg
But, when I get into much narrower stacks like my Il Duca Cherrywood (about 3/4” bore) or my Pipe-Dan Shape Reform (which has approximately a 5/16” bore), the difficulty becomes more apparent.
IL DUCA:
IMG_9452.jpeg
PIPE-DAN:
IMG_0438.jpeg
The Il Duca may accept ribbon cut tobacco, but it will be a very short smoke. I only smoke cube cut or finely rubbed flake in this pipe. In The Pipe-Dan (arguably my most challenging pipe) I only smoke cube cut as preparing the tobacco in any other fashion makes the pipe smoke hot and leaves me with terrible tongue bite. Cube cut slows the burn considerably and seems to work well with this insanely narrow chamber. Sorry for being long in the tooth, but the question was more complex (to me) than it seems. Aesthetically, I really enjoy the Stack/Chimney shaped pipe, but they can be slightly more challenging than your average pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.