PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m going to try this year’s Cringle again in a Kaywoodie medium billiard. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the last bowl and thought the 21 & 22 editions far superior. Perhaps it’s the Katerini, a leaf I generally enjoy but I’m of the opinion that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and am wondering if it needed to be added to this season’s blend. Maybe some breathing time will make a difference, maybe it’ll sit on the shelf for eternity. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Half way through a bowl of cotton candy at the fair delicious Virginia Gold Cherry Cavendish and my Marxman A Benchmade has almost recolored to the same shade as last night, before sanding with 4/0 steel wool.

This pipe hasn’t gotten hot. This is smoke or tannins or oil leeching out.

View attachment 274931
View attachment 274932View attachment 274934

After sanding

View attachment 274935
You mentioned it had been treated with beeswax, that reacts to heat and darkens which is why a beeswax treated meer will start to colour almost immediately. I’m not really familiar with that brand and don’t know what treatment they underwent at the factory however.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You mentioned it had been treated with beeswax, that reacts to heat and darkens which is why a beeswax treated meer will start to colour almost immediately. I’m not really familiar with that brand and don’t know what treatment they underwent at the factory however.

Evidently a Marxman was not waxed much or it would color in a heartbeat.

These will out color a meerschaum if it’s a very soft and spongy example (they are all soft) and you add wax.

This pipe smokes phenomenally cool and delicious.

IMG_6298.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.