PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Thank you, when it stops raining here I just may do that. Where do you get your pipes?
@RPK Mainly antique shops / flea markets or eBay. New ones from Appleyard's of Buxton; they sell loose Gawith Hoggarth as well. They're By Appointment to the Clay King - I'll have to make them a King's Warrant:)
And another for Gawith Hoggarth:)

Skink

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
First smoke of HH Burley Flake in a replacement Peterson Irish Harp X105 Smooth Billard with a mug of black coffee. What I initially thought was a hairline tooling mark, turned out to be a slight crack in the briar that revealed itself after 9 months of use. The incredibly awesome people at Smokingpipes.com agreed that it was a faulty piece of briar and quickly issued a full credit, that I instantly used to pick up the younger sister.1000007031.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Very interesting, where did you get the olive oil information?
There is/was a Youtube video showing them spinning the twist and then coating the stuff in olive oil, wrapping it in brown paper and then putting in the heated press and leaving it there overnight. I think the film was made in the late 1960s early 1970s as they show the twist being wrapped in tin foil packages with a label ready for delivery to the shops.

PaulRVA

Administrator
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
There is/was a Youtube video showing them spinning the twist and then coating the stuff in olive oil, wrapping it in brown paper and then putting in the heated press and leaving it there overnight. I think the film was made in the late 1960s early 1970s as they show the twist being wrapped in tin foil packages with a label ready for delivery to the shops.
@condorlover1 Sounds interesting - we should go back to plastic free packaging. Going to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth in Buxton this month - not much single use with me!

Hillcrest

Administrator
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Sutliff 507-C Navy Flake in the Pete Pub pipe. I noticed after 7 months that my Pub Pipe has a ridge along the bottom that is not blasted or blasted on each side. I have one of those old recycled tire door mats on the back porch. The ridge allows the pipe to stand upright in the mat groove so I can smoke awhile and set it upright and comeback to it later. Handy feature. I don;'t know if others have that as well. Another plus for this pipe.

RPK

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
@RPK Mainly antique shops / flea markets or eBay. New ones from Appleyard's of Buxton; they sell loose Gawith Hoggarth as well. They're By Appointment to the Clay King - I'll have to make them a King's Warrant:)
And another for Gawith Hoggarth:)
Interesting that you’re finding them in antique shops. Can’t remember the last time I was in one or to a flea market…. maybe 20+ years ago ? ? so, I’ll try the short one I have at hand and maybe the next time I order online I’ll include one. puffy👍

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Interesting that you’re finding them in antique shops. Can’t remember the last time I was in one or to a flea market…. maybe 20+ years ago ? ? so, I’ll try the short one I have at hand and maybe the next time I order online I’ll include one. puffy👍
@RPK I think you should give the clays a go; please let me know how you get on with them and try not to break them...

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Kramer’s Father Dempsey in a Kurt Balleby “B” bent brandy

1716699592346.png

Status
Not open for further replies.