PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
I'm starting off the month with a bowl of year 2017 Esoterica Dorchester in a straight smooth brown 1920s KBB Rocky Briar 1582 patent no.298978 with a B in a circle bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Working and listening to One Man's Family from my radio collection. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
View attachment 236958
Jim, I’m a frequent reader of your detailed posts on Tobacco Reviews. My palate isn’t as refined as your seems to be. But in any case a question for you.

Over the last year I’ve rejoined the pipe tobacco addiction. Lots of pipes used and new. Lots of tobaccos on review. Overall I’ve found a few aromatics I like and a few English Latakia forward.

I can only smoke outside and remain married. That said, I would like your view on the following. All GL Pease blends — I love Quiet Nights and Gaslight. Westminster and Odyssey. Their numerical ratings suggest most people see these four as pretty similar. I like them all but am struggling to distinguish one from the other. I limit myself to 1-2 bowls per day and usually in the cooler mornings.

My gut says Quiet Nights is stronger and more attractive to me. The others are also excellent. I’m sure I’m missing something but not experiencing huge differences. Can you advise?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am almost a third of the way through this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Editing and proofreading text on a book I am editing. Gold Star Cafe 645, neat, is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I don't understand the question. I showed a photo of the pipe and it obviously not a military mount unless my understanding of a military mount is totally flawed.
Does the stem push into the shank completely or does it step down to a smaller diameter and that goes into the tenon?2E59DCC1-1825-40F8-BB21-0B74FFD3853D.jpegA1FFA63A-7F1C-4BFC-8D23-F591B6DE510C.jpegtop photo military mount

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, I’m a frequent reader of your detailed posts on Tobacco Reviews. My palate isn’t as refined as your seems to be. But in any case a question for you.

Over the last year I’ve rejoined the pipe tobacco addiction. Lots of pipes used and new. Lots of tobaccos on review. Overall I’ve found a few aromatics I like and a few English Latakia forward.

I can only smoke outside and remain married. That said, I would like your view on the following. All GL Pease blends — I love Quiet Nights and Gaslight. Westminster and Odyssey. Their numerical ratings suggest most people see these four as pretty similar. I like them all but am struggling to distinguish one from the other. I limit myself to 1-2 bowls per day and usually in the cooler mornings.

My gut says Quiet Nights is stronger and more attractive to me. The others are also excellent. I’m sure I’m missing something but not experiencing huge differences. Can you advise?
It's a little difficult to advise you because body chemistry determines our individual experiences. I think you are on the right track because you have determined that Quiet Nights suits you best among those you mentioned. If you are missing anything, it's the experience you will gain by trying different blends. That was the first and most important thing I learned as a pipe smoker.

Don't rush anything. You'll figure out what works best for you in time just as you have discovered that Latakia forward English blends are working well for you. Write tasting notes on each blend you try. Update when necessary. While you are making decisions, don't drink anything flavored when you smoke so your senses won't be compromised.

Here's a couple of examples for you: If a blend you really like has red Virginia as the lead Virginia, and you don't feel that way when bright Virginia leads, that automatically gives you a step up on what blend to choose. If you determine you can't handle more than a mild dose of perique, you'll know what to avoid. The same goes for Orientals.

As for aromatics, if you don't like peaches, you won't like a peach blend. Try those that have a topping that is attractive to you. If you don't want toppings to drown out the tobacco flavor, then don't buy aro-bombs. Because I know a fair number of smokers want to know things like that, I always state how much toppings affect tobacco flavor in aros.

Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.