PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Up early to watch the Rugby. South Africa V’s the All Blacks on now and it’s a torrid affair I can tell you, trench warfare at times, 15-10 in favour of the All Blacks. Following this game it’s the Wallabies V’s Argentina again in Argentina. Early starts call for strong coffee which I have and I’m sipping some Orlik GS in my Eltang Basic whilst I watch.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I know exactly what you mean. I've been to 50-60 MLB games. As a former semi-pro baseball player, I love being on the field, or at least in the ball park. But, the prices they charge for a decent seat today is ridiculous.
Woah Jim you played semi-pro baseball? That’s pretty awesome I had no idea. What position? Yeah I think back to my mom’s entry level coordinator position at the weather channel and my dad’s salary as a teacher. There’s no way a family of four with those two jobs could afford three (my sister was a baby) World Series tickets in 2022 which is quite sad.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
For a slight deviation from the norm, I broke out a two year old jar of C&D Yorktown to smoke all day today. This bowl is in a straight Alfred Baier(signed) bulldog that is dark rusticated below the rings and smooth above. It has a vulcanite stem. Al was the owner of Pimo back in the day and was known for his figural pipes as he was also a sculptor. I visited him in his shop in Vermont and bought two "seconds" from him. Even back in the 90's he was getting $500 for his commissions. Too steep for me at the time but mine smoke beautifully.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Woah Jim you played semi-pro baseball? That’s pretty awesome I had no idea. What position? Yeah I think back to my mom’s entry level coordinator position at the weather channel and my dad’s salary as a teacher. There’s no way a family of four with those two jobs could afford three (my sister was a baby) World Series tickets in 2022 which is quite sad.
I was mainly an outfielder, but there were times I was needed at other positions. I played everywhere but pitcher, and believe me, I would have been terrible at that. I had good control, but no real speed and my curveball was flatter than a politician's head.

I could tell a lot of stories, but I'll limit it to two:

A few years had passed since I had caught a ballgame, but right before game time, our regular catcher tweaked a hamstring. The manager asked "Who wants to catch?", and nobody said anything. I said I'd do because I had caught games in the past. I threw out one runner out of the two that tried to steal a base, got the only two hits in the game, and we won 1-0 on my rbi in the 7th. I was 37 years old at the time, and it had been five years since I caught a game. The next day, my legs were sore and stiffer than brick wall.

Because of my speed, I usually batted lead off or second (lead the league in stolen bases every year for eight straight seasons, including two steals of home). But this particular day, I was batting clean up. I never understood why, but I did. Anyway, I had four at bats and each time the bases were loaded. Strangely enough, I walked all four times, and never swung the bat. I faced three pitchers, and not of them threw me a strike. The box score was weird: no at bats, two runs scored, no hits, and four runs batted in.

I've never been to a World Series game, and I guess I never will. That's one thing in life I wish I could change.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref jiminks subbing as a catcher, it seems the best catchers are often short or at least not rangy/tall, because playing that position is hell on your hip joints and knees, and the leverage is less if you don't have long legs. It's still a lot of stress on the cartilage, but not quite as destructive. Upper body strength helps you throw hard and fast from a squat position. It's definitely a specialty. So, jiminks, did you have your own catcher's mitt or did you borrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.