PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
7523A4C2-5660-489A-B20A-A8DA0EADDB5F.jpeg
CNT Organic RYO in my Vauen College 327 straight billiard mostly black sandblast With acrylic stem and 9mm filter.

This tobacco is a good tasting shag cut. I believe it’s a straight Virginia.

In one of the early Pipes Magazihe radio shows Brian said he knew the great differences between cigarette tobacco and RYO. I wonder if he ever covered that. I’ve just started listening from episode one a couple weeks ago.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am nearing the half way mark of this bowl of year 2019 C&D Yorktown in a straight sandblasted black post-1938 (Comoy’s) Made in England Ancestor bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
Ancestor (Comoy's)_bulldog.jpg

Abner the Eager came over a couple of times to eat, and get a little attention. I know he wants inside, and looks sad when he isn’t let in. On Abner’s first visit, m’lady had to keep him and Harry the Hairy apart so both could eat. Harry scares everybody when he does that mournful howling. Daisy the Feral Princess spent most of the day snoozing on the couch. Haven’t seen Tomato the Brave today, but since there’s no more rain, I figure he’ll show up sometime.
DaisyBBStareatMe1.jpg

Same old story with Sam and the scampers. Sometimes, they drive Sam crazy, and she jumps out of the playpen, for some relief. She stays close by to watch them when she does that. She’s a great mother. Long tail has really taken to us. She spent a little time on m’lady’s lap this evening. At one time, Sleepy Suzy checked Long Tail out, and was very unhappy to see LT in “her” space. She hissed LT, and came over to me. I settled her down.
LTHand1.jpgLTBellyrub.jpg
LT&Suzy.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
A little late night pipe under the streetlight as I ponder what might make a good "All day, anytime" blend. First I ran through a cob of Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, now I've got it loaded up with Prince Albert. It's a cob so I don't particularly mind smoking it twice in the same day without giving it a rest in between.puffy

IMG20240421221606~2.jpg

I've got my favorite Virginia, Burley, and English blends that I smoke regularly: Orlik Golden Sliced, Haunted Bookshop, and Early Morning Pipe. I really love them all, but none are something I'd want to smoke all day every day. Golden Sliced is a bit bright and Haunted Bookshop and EMP are bit dark, so I've been looking for something right in the middle between Golden Sliced and Haunted Bookshop that would be an easygoing all day blend.

For a long time I thought Carter Hall was that blend, but lately I've been noticing a little astringent chemical note from it that I never seemed to notice when I was less intimately familiar with the blend; and the same goes for Prince Albert. Pegasus is a nice clean smoke with no chemical notes, but I find all of C&Ds blends to have a few too many rough edges and be a little too harsh on the throat to smoke all day.

So what's next to try? I've been giving Gawith Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 a try and it's got a good flavor profile, though a bit strong in the Vitamin N department for me to smoke all day and the Virginias are a little more dominant than I'd like. I don't mind a bit of Virginia, but I think I'd prefer something more burley forward but still smooth without much in the way of rough edges.

I've got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular on the way from SmokingPipes to give a go, which I'm rather hopeful about since I've read that it doesn't have that chemical note I've been noticing in Carter Hall and Prince Albert lately, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions for other Burley forward all day blends to give a try!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Got to wait until August for the Jason the blacksmith to light the clay from his forge:
Matlock Bath Pirate Mutiny is the same weekend so going to both as Cromford & Matlock Bath are next to each other.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
A little late night pipe under the streetlight as I ponder what might make a good "All day, anytime" blend. First I ran through a cob of Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, now I've got it loaded up with Prince Albert. It's a cob so I don't particularly mind smoking it twice in the same day without giving it a rest in between.puffy

View attachment 305072

I've got my favorite Virginia, Burley, and English blends that I smoke regularly: Orlik Golden Sliced, Haunted Bookshop, and Early Morning Pipe. I really love them all, but none are something I'd want to smoke all day every day. Golden Sliced is a bit bright and Haunted Bookshop and EMP are bit dark, so I've been looking for something right in the middle between Golden Sliced and Haunted Bookshop that would be an easygoing all day blend.

For a long time I thought Carter Hall was that blend, but lately I've been noticing a little astringent chemical note from it that I never seemed to notice when I was less intimately familiar with the blend; and the same goes for Prince Albert. Pegasus is a nice clean smoke with no chemical notes, but I find all of C&Ds blends to have a few too many rough edges and be a little too harsh on the throat to smoke all day.

So what's next to try? I've been giving Gawith Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 a try and it's got a good flavor profile, though a bit strong in the Vitamin N department for me to smoke all day and the Virginias are a little more dominant than I'd like. I don't mind a bit of Virginia, but I think I'd prefer something more burley forward but still smooth without much in the way of rough edges.

I've got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular on the way from SmokingPipes to give a go, which I'm rather hopeful about since I've read that it doesn't have that chemical note I've been noticing in Carter Hall and Prince Albert lately, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions for other Burley forward all day blends to give a try!
@Skippy B. Coyote I think Orlik Golden Sliced sounds like it would suit the King's Clay!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem. With any luck, I'll close out the day with this smoke. Reading baseball box scores.
Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09).jpg

Here's more Long Tail photos. I like the one with her mom.
Sam&LT_together.jpg

Long Tail cleans her mom.
LongTailCleaningMom1.jpg
LongTailCleaningMom2.jpg
McLtClimbNet4.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

View attachment 305072

Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match, and Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture, which is much like the 1950s George Washington Cut Plug.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match, and Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture, which is much like the 1950s George Washington Cut Plug.

Thank you Jim! I'll give both of those a try! 👍

For now I'm back home smoking with my good friend Captain Black original, and this cob is sure getting one heck of a workout today! It'll be getting a good cleaning after this and rested for a couple days.

IMG20240422033003~2.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Match Field and Stream in a salvaged 4 panel, square shank, no name, with a Grabow saddle cut stem. One of the first 5 briar pipes I've obtained back about 9 yrs ago. I broke the original square tapered stem attempting to give it a slight bend after heating it over a tea candle. It broke like a piece of fudge. Too thick and too soon. I later realized that my bending frenzy was silly.WIN_20240422_06_45_20_Pro.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sam the Scamp was banging on the door for the second time since I went to bed. Since I couldn't sleep, I let her out, and am a third of he way through this bowl of 2018 Sutliff Walnut Match in a 1990s smooth brown medium bend briar calabash shaped Butz-Choquin Maitre Pipier JR Fait Main with a horn ferrule and a black vulcanite stem.
Butz-Choquin_Maitre_PipierJR _hornMM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.