PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have about a third of a bowl left of Wilke Gentry Royal Blend No. 2 in a 1972 three quarter bend black Dunhill Shell 52021 billiard with a black vulcanite saddle stem. I may end the day with this smoke.
Dunhill_1972Billiard_Shell_52021.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I've about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2013 Full Virginia Flake in a slight bend 1968 group 4S Dunhill Shell 475 cherrywood with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Decided I could use a night off of work to relax, enjoy some baseball, and smoke Dunhills. That may not seem like much to some of you, but to that fella I was thirty years back, it's something I would have never expected to have the luxury of doing. One of these days, I'll do a bulldog night... maybe a Canadian or an apple night, too. It's fun to find ways to have extra enjoyment out of pipe smoking.
View attachment 142362
This reminds of something I will never forget. In the late '80s or early '90s, I attended a vintage paperback show in New York. Sitting at one table, were the legendary cover artists, Robert Maguire, Mitch Hooks, and Robert McGinnis. I felt so lucky to meet them, especially, all three at once. My freelance illustration career was only in its fourth or fifth year (I'd been out of art school/college about the same time). I had at least one book from my Ross Macdonald collection for Hooks to sign. These guys were in their mid to late 60s at this point. I asked them, "Does that feeling of dread, the fear of the phone not ringing, ever go away?" They quietly glanced at each other and said:

"No."

I saw the life ahead of me. Always taking on jobs, even if it meant staying up for days to them done. I was horrified and comforted by their answer. The idea that these luminaries still worried about getting work at a time when they should be able to think about retiring blew my mind. But, it made me feel less alone.

Bless Robert McGinnis. He's the only one of the three still alive (the youngest of the group). At 96, he's still painting covers for my friend, Charles Ardai, at Hard Case Crime.

The idea of not working or taking on new work is foreign to freelancers. It's about survival. My life is currently different because I've taken on a 9 to 5 gig. But, I know it's important to take those nights off and relax sometimes. I hope I see you post more pipe themed nights, Jim.

Mar 1, 2014
First in the two James Barber B-Line Billiards some experiments with Sutliff Elizabethan blended with Macbaren Old Dark Fired Ready Rub, 50/50 in one and 60/30 ODF/Elizabethan in the other. I definitely prefer the 50/50 ratio, highly enjoyable.

Next a 50/50 blend of Elizabethan/Newminster No.400 in the Viprati Lovat. This is mostly a light honey sweet flavor, probably dominated by the Newminster.

416CC889-CF65-47AE-B162-DDF1FFE1283E.jpeg

(By the time I thought to take pictures the Viprati was already wrapped up for transport.)

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
First in the two James Barber B-Line Billiards some experiments with Sutliff Elizabethan blended with Macbaren Old Dark Fired Ready Rub, 50/50 in one and 60/30 ODF/Elizabethan in the other. I definitely prefer the 50/50 ratio, highly enjoyable.

Next a 50/50 blend of Elizabethan/Newminster No.400 in the Viprati Lovat. This is mostly a light honey sweet flavor, probably dominated by the Newminster.

View attachment 142410

(By the time I thought to take pictures the Viprati was already wrapped up for transport.)
@frozenchurchwarden fantastic value for money pipes the James Barber B Line and excellent smokers. Love my Lovat from them ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Status
Not open for further replies.