Not open for further replies.

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

halfdan

Preferred Member
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've been to the Wellington Monument at Baslow Edge today!
I've worn my redcoat and smoked a clay in honour of the great man himself, with some of pipe baccy kindly gifted by @marconi.
It went down a treat!
My redcoat jacket, Cavalier hat and clay pipe attracted a lot of attention (in a nice way, not like the 'weird guy' reactions I'd get in Chesterfield!) and a few people I met took my photo - one of them thought I was the Duke of Wellington himself!

halfdan

Preferred Member
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

virkia

Preferred Member
Jan 30, 2020
Frederick Tranter CIRCUS SPUN CUT (3 NUNS clone) in a no-name vintage cherry-wood:-
20200315_173919_resized (2).jpg

Thinking about cherry-wood pipes I'm reminded of Sherlock Holmes and the quote from one of the stories - The Adventure of the Copper Beeches - where Holmes and Watson are discussing the latter’s chronicling of their adventures: “You have erred, perhaps,” he [Holmes] observed, taking up a glowing cinder with the tongs and lighting with it the long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood….”
1618443267067.png
Image by Sydney Paget from “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches,” Strand Magazine, June 1892.

Speaking about the Sydney Paget drawings for the Holmes stories: I have a 1970s two-page spread from a top- shelf magazine depicting some of his drawings with the words changed from the original to very amusing and quite naughty. Maybe when I've finished re-organising certain parts of my study in a couple of weeks I'll post them and as we're all adults I would hope not to be banned from the site for doing so ...

Maybe Holmes' pipe is less like the one above and more like the one below:-
20200310_161503_resized (2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner