PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just read the prologue and part of the first chapter to "Game of Thrones"....I'm not sure I'll read the rest.

I have a problem with buying into these types of stories. I don't know why.

I only managed to read one Tolkien. The Hobbit.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Radical by David Platt. Its a religious book, but as a PK it's really getting my mind working..
My next one is either Tolkien's Bio or a Religious one of C.S Lewis

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Goethe's Faust. Came across a 1912 leather bound copy on ebay and couldn't resist.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
What a great thread this is! Good to see the many fellow readers.
Myself I am about mid-way through "idiot" by Dostojevskij.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Just started "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer, which is reputed to be an instant sci-fi classic. I just finished "Kokoda" by Paul Ham and "Hell's Battlefield" by Phillip Bradley, both of which are focused on the Australian contribution to the. Pacific Theater in WW2. I highly recommend them to anyone with even a casual interest in WW 2 history, both because they are great books and because most Americans have little or no idea of what the Australians did. They were our closest ally in that conflict and suffered much higher casualties, per capita, than we lost. The Kokoda Trail Campaign, in fact, was one of the most important battles of the war yet few outside Australia know the story, despite the fact it occurred as the Battle of Guadalcanal was raging nearby and was every bit as vital to our cause.

Also, my wife and I have been reading a lot of Algernon Blackwood together, and often go to sleep listening to Blackwood audio books. I love Victorian/Edwardian popular fiction, and Blackwood was one of the absolute best writers of his time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just finished:

"Positive" - a new take on the Zombie Apocalypse

"To Kill a Mockingbird" - wow, it's been 40 years since I've read this, what a book.
Current:

"All The Light We Cannot See" (very good so far)
On deck

"Finders Keepers" - Stephen King

"I, Ripper" - Stephen Hunter

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Chasingembers -
The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft, by Leslie S. Klinger is well worth the cost. I discovered Lovecraft when in High School and am a big fan. Klinger has also annotated the entire Holmes canon, and I plan to get that sometime in the next year. Back in the late 1970s I read the complete Sherlock Holmes to my then wife and haven't read it since, but have watched most (not all) of the various video versions. If you haven't seen the YouTube videos below, check them out.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Spoz_1KyZiA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnzhLxjb6k
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUFUqvkHiI

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I should have been clearer that the videos are about Lovecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.