PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tom Clancy Executive Orders. As long as Atlas Shrugged in page numbers, not as good as Atlas Shrugged, but a damn good Techno triller.

I have become completely enthralled in Gregory David Robert's (guy with three first name, ha) newest, The Mountain Shadow. It's the sequel to Shantaram, which had me reading for almost 50 hours (900+ pages) straight when it came out. If you are intrigued with India, the mafia, spirituality, and really well written fight sequences, with excellent wording, as from one who has really been in a fight, you'll dig these books. Some of the metaphors and wordings will make you cringe, but you just have to read them as if spoken by Australian low brow.

Great read, I couldn't recommend it more. Ok, back to reading...

May 31, 2012
Ok, back to reading...
Quit reading!
Put the book down!
Get yer ass back to posting,

we miss you.

t4624.gif

I just got finished reading Noir by K.W. Jeter and now I'm sad that it's over,

it was a great book and had me totally enthralled.
With a main character named McNihil who is an asp-head,

you know it's going to be good!

:puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I read blogs most of the day and my personal 'book' reading has always been sporadic. I tend to read in bunches or only a few pages or paragraphs a day, of a book, knowing that it will end may cause me to loiter, I am not sure.

The bathroom is always a place that lends itself to a brief passage, so, you probably don't want to get loaners from me.

I have "It's a Long Story" by Willie Nelson / David Ritz working right now.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Halfway through DUTY by Robert Gates, former Secretary of Defense
By the way, this quote from John Rogers: There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My bathroom book of late is quite relevant to what I'm seeing play out in current events.

"Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman and subtitled Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
Here is an excerpt:

"For example, A person who has seen one million television commercials might well believe that all political problems have fast solutions through simple measures, or ought to. Or that complex language is not to be trusted, and that all problems lend themselves to theatrical expression. Or that argument is in bad taste, and leads only to an intolerable uncertainty."

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
@newbroom: the book that inspired Roger Water's early 90s album. It's a great one, enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://www.amazon.com/Barbarian-Days-Surfing-William-Finnegan/dp/1594203474
"Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life".
Just finished "Brighton" (Boston crime novel)

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I just started the first book of Bernard Werber 's last trilogy, the Third Humanity.

A new sensational discovery at the subglacial lake of Antarctica reveals 17-meter-long human skeletons, but as the expedition members take photos and collect samples, the glacier cracks, covering the site with massive chunks of ice. This event prompts the creation of a new secret project to save humanity. The project aims to make a new humanity to survive in the hostile environment of high radiation and extinction.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, a non-fiction memoir about growing up in a family that migrated from Appalachian Kentucky to industrial Ohio, but stayed in a culture of similar folks. The community had and has daunting problems with broken families, substance abuse, violence and joblessness, but the narrator escapes gradually from the grasp of this fate with the help of a thoroughly hillbilly maternal grandmother, Mapaw, who, as he says, is a gun-toting lunatic capable of holding off a Marine recruiter at the porch steps. He eventually joins the Marines, then goes to Ohio State, and eventually Yale Law School. He goes from describing how to dodge druggies and other peoples' love live gone wrong, to relating how to network to get the best law firm connections at Yale. He still wants to reach back and show young folks in his old home towns the way to a healthier, more productive life, hence the book. He teaches what I already knew; don't badmouth nobody's mama.

Status
Not open for further replies.