PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Just finished "The King's Grave," dealing with the search for the body of King Richard III, found two years ago under a municipal parking lot, and "The King's Speech," the book on which the movie was based--far more comprehensive, of course. I've just started "Capital in the 21st Century" by Thomas Piketty, a fairly heavy economic study of wealth inequality, and "An Eye for An Eye," a murder mystery by Joseph Telushkin. Concurrently, for light reading, I'm also reading "The Narrows" by Michael Connelly, a Harry Bosch mystery. Don't know what I'll do when I get to the end of that list. And I'll read the next Inspector Gamache, due for imminent release.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Just finished The Bourne Dominion by Eric Van Lustbader. Only read a couple since he took over but he seems to be doing a good job with this series.

Mar 31, 2014
The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert. There's a lot more to Herbert than the Dune series. Fantastic writer if you're into philosophy, politics, and/or religious studies (from the perspective of power, not belief).

curl

Apr 29, 2014
A while ago I read Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books in reverse chronological order.

Since then I've had to read the next few the right way.

It's hard, man.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Surprisingly I only have 3 books on the go right now; Crime and Punishment, Morte D'Arthur and my Lovecraft collection by Gollancz Publishing.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Just finished the Kane and Abel series by Jeffery Archer, damn good story teller. Started reading Paul Dioron Mike Bowditch series, a Maine Game Warden another fine series.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I'm currently rectifying the fact I'm halfway through my MA in English, and have never read Moby Dick. Earlier this summer I binged on classic PI fiction with Chandler's The Big Sleep and Hammett's Red Harvest.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
@fnord, Bradley, mso489 Love McCarthy. I've only read Blood Meridian but will be getting to more. Brutal themes and brutal writing to go with it.
I didn't realize it 'til I read the book, but the song titles on one of my favorite albums were all taken from Blood Meridian. This music made a great match for repeat listening for the few weeks I was reading the book. It just sounds like big, open desert spaces, with some country twang played at half-speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNgN5QO_8oI

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I didn't realize it 'til I read the book, but the song titles on one of my favorite albums were all taken from Blood Meridian.
That sounds interesting - what's the album? On a side note, the Kronos Quartet's soundtrack to Dracula, while designed to sync with the 1931 film, is equally great with the novel. Always worth a visit when when autumn approaches.
Edit: beat me to it with the video embed.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, it took me a few tries before I realized I just had to paste the URL in to get the video to show up, haha. It's some menacing twang, for sure, but it fits the mood of the book perfectly.
I'll have to check out the Kronos Quartet soundtrack. What's the name of the album?

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
It's simply called "Dracula"
It was originally composed by Philip Glass in 1998 to accompany the 1931 film, which has not musical soundtrack. You can watch the film and soundtrack together HERE As I mentioned earlier, the soundtrack also makes great background music to reading the book!

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Monsoon by Robert Kaplan. Good book about the geopolitical situation in the Indian ocean

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Re-reading The Lord of the Rings. Now where is my churchwarden so I can really feel like I'm in Middle Earth.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
i read the silmarillion/hobbit/LotR/unfinished tales at least once a year...by far my favorite books

Status
Not open for further replies.