PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Not a book, but since we're on an Arctic/Antarctic trip the John Mills Scott of the Antarctic film is great and features a few cutter top tins of Capstan and lots of pipes!

Reactions: Kobold

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Basically finished with Peter Singer's "Pracitical Ethics". Anyone philosophically minded with some thoughts about the book? I found it interesting, and in some parts persuasive. His points about euthanasia are very intriguing.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Basically finished with Peter Singer's "Pracitical Ethics". Anyone philosophically minded with some thoughts about the book? I found it interesting, and in some parts persuasive. His points about euthanasia are very intriguing.
I had to read that for my degree, and this is not necessarily a comment on the book but I ended up using it as a backstop for my air rifle.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
1697841316851.png
Two Years Before The Mast - I'm a sucker for any nautical novels. The age of sail captivated me since I was a wee lad watching the tallships sail in and out of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
I'd recommend Michael Palin's Erebus, as well as Ranulph Fiennes recent biography of Shackleton if you liked this one! There's also the Worst Journey in the World by Cherry-Garrard, that's a really interesting one.
Ordered the first and last recommendations you listed - I was always fascinated with the expeditions seeking a route through the NW Passage, and recently started looking into books on the Ross Expedition and general Antarctic expeditions. Appreciate the suggestions!

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I do so appreciate that the board tolerates comments about serious books. Such venues are hard to come by. Anyway while on Amazon, purportedly to buy a book about how tweaking my brain's programming to enhance health, I instead bought the entirely more mesmerizing titles:

John Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, whose trail I picked up doing battle with George Berkeley's A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Understanding.

Pema Chodron: Becoming Bodhisattvas. I've studied Shantideva's foundational work, A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life but must conclude that it is cryptic and that reading others is the best way in.

Khedrup Je: Freedom through Correct Knowing: Khedrup Je's Interpretation of Dharmakirti's "Seven Treatises on Valid Cognition," forward by the Dalai Lama.

Je Tsongkhapa, an influential Tibetan Buddhist monk, philosopher and tantric yogi whose activities led to the formation of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. Illuminating the Intent: An Exposition of Chandrakirti's Entering the Middle Way.

Preliminary lesson: Stay away from Amazon:).

Last edited:

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I do so appreciate that the board tolerates comments about serious books. Such venues are hard to come by. Anyway while on Amazon, purportedly to buy a book about how tweaking my brain's programming to enhance health, I instead bought the entirely more mesmerizing titles:

John Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, whose trail I picked up doing battle with George Berkeley's A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Understanding.

Pema Chodron: Becoming Bodhisattvas. I've studied Shantideva's foundational work, A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life but must conclude that it is cryptic and that reading others is the best way in.

Khedrup Je: Freedom through Correct Knowing: Khedrup Je's Interpretation of Dharmakirti's "Seven Treatises on Valid Cognition," forward by the Dalai Lama.

Tsongkapa, an influential Tibetan Buddhist monk, philosopher and tantric yogi whose activities led to the formation of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. Illuminating the Intent: An Exposition of Chandrakirti's Entering the Middle Way.

Preliminary lesson: Stay away from Amazon:).
One can’t mention Locke and Berkeley, IMHO, without mentioning David Hume. I‘ve always had a special fondness for Hume, a fellow British Empiricist of Locke and Berkeley. The writings of Hume (whom Kant reflected, woke him from his dogmatic slumber), were my first glimpses of philosophy in college and to no small degree, prompted me to become a philosophy major.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaingorenard

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Living Off your Money by Michael McClung. Mid way through the book, but if you like evidenced based financial advice this is a good choice. Bring your reading glasses as some of the tables get pretty intricate.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
1698358292963.png

I'm about halfway through this one and I've enjoyed it so far. It's not life-changing but it's well-written and has kept my attention.

• Love
Reactions: BCF

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Tom Crean is really interesting, I'd be interested to know if it is any good.
I am over half way. I think it's a good book. I have learnt a lot.

First half mostly covers Scott's expedition. The Shackleton part is now starting.

These were really tough men, particularly Tom Crean. I can't imagine the present generation with blue hair being of the same calibre.

• Love
Reactions: jaingorenard
Status
Not open for further replies.