PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Finally got around to picking up a copy of Blood Meridian - I’m about halfway through now and completely engrossed! Thanks for the recommendation! Dark and gritty and unapologetic in its refusal to conform to a conventional writing style.
You're welcome, it's a novel with layers and great depth.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Heading off to the doc, I wanted something other than the big hardcover I was reading, so I grabbed an old paperback of Twain's Letters From The Earth that I had never gotten around to reading. Great stuff, Gonna be time to reread Connecticut Yankee, soon,I think.

1cc6b66a3ec1ce5060ad26edf2e28870.jpg

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
For anyone who is interested or amused by the British upper classes post-WW2, the Alms for Oblivion series by Simon Raven is absolutely fantastic. I first heard about this series in a recent review, and have raced through the first 5, and look forward to the next 5. Several real figures appear in the series (usually a send up) in fictionalised forms (for example: William Rees-Mogg, Jim Prior). I have never read a review that more accurately captured the spirit of a series, so here it is for anyone interested:

Reactions: simong
H

HRPufnstuf

The Institute by Stephen King. Can't remember the last time I read a book from him. Was looking for a scare, but it's more thriller than scary at the half way mark. Might abandon it for something more interesting.
Apologies, I appear to have stolen your signature.

Reading: this thread and The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins.

Reactions: autumnfog
Status
Not open for further replies.