PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I
I need to listen to a “new to me” audiobook sometime soon. Every year or so I try listening to an audiobook but I always choose a book I love and know. The result has been that I am totally unsatisfied because I already have the authors voice in my head. I expect a certain cadence and it bothers me when words and names are pronounced differently than I expect. I’m sure I would enjoy an audiobook if I came to it without preconceptions or if it were read by the original author. Unfortunately I have a hard time finding contemporary literature that I can really get into.
I know what you mean and have experienced all of that. Sometimes I’ll try an old favorite audiobook with a new reader and it rarely works. I also hardly every find contemporary fiction to enjoy. Most is just written in a style I cannot engage with, and if an author is too young I find that they rarely have the wisdom that I seek out in literature. I go to books to be taught by people further along than I am.

Reactions: BCF and LotusEater

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't finished the book but it is looking like the book is the exception to the usual "book is better than the movie rule."
I read it many years ago...it was intriguing. Keel was sort of a modern Charles Fort. The movie differed quite a bit, but I agree it was really well done...have watched it a few times over the years. Well written and directed, and great performances...especially Will Patton.

Status
Not open for further replies.