Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm reading: "To Rule the Waves, How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World," by Arthur Herman, a 569 page account from Henry VIII and Elizabeth the First through the Falkland War, including much piracy (literally) and politics throughout the early centuries. Plus there is another nearly one hundred pages of Notes demonstrating the historical rigor with which this was written. I can't always track all the admirals names, nor the politicians and other historical figures, but I'm afraid I have a few reputed ancestors in here who are not always doing good in the world. Being a veteran U.S. Navy enlisted guy who served on one of the last all-wooden hulled ships in the U.S. Navy, though no square rigger, I have a sort of identity with the subject. The ancestry may account for the fact that, despite the occasional knot in the intestines, I never got seasick in months (and months and months) at sea, not even at first. How I'd do now, I don't know, but I was a useful worker ant in the bowels of the U.S.S Gallant. ...cosmic', oh, so that's one of the books they decided to discontinue ... I thought it might be something like that.

ukbob

Lifer
Dec 3, 2016
Norfolk. England.
Book 2 in this fantastic series:

9780143037903-l.jpg

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've never been a comic book guy, but my brother is staying with us and he is. So I've been reading this manga writer who does HP Lovecraft cosmic horror incredibly well with great illustrations to boot.

Getting used to reading from "back" to "front" in the Japanese style is tough, but worth it.

Author: Junji Ito
Book: Uzumaki
Genre: Cosmic horror/Japanese manga
6v9ksi59lbw31.jpg

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
An Evening with Lincoln by Sherwin Cody.
My copy is nearly pocket-sized, published in 1927. It’s not too shabby, and seems like it’ll be an interesting quick read.
Also, I too can’t recommend Junji Ito’s work enough, it’s simply incredible.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
An Evening with Lincoln by Sherwin Cody.
My copy is nearly pocket-sized, published in 1927. It’s not too shabby, and seems like it’ll be an interesting quick read.
Also, I too can’t recommend Junji Ito’s work enough, it’s simply incredible.
I know it's great! It's like HP Lovecraft with 20,000% less racism. And somehow he does it better... strange.

Reactions: Kingsley

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For a change of pace from old time murder mysteries I am reading "Can't Fear Your Own World Volume 3" by Tite Kubo and Ryohga Narita. It is a fantasy novel for young adults centering around the Soul Society. And that's probably more than you wanted to know. I read the fist two volumes since when the third one came I said "what the hell".

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
This is a cool section, I’ve always got something I’m reading! Right now it’s “The Book of the Lion” by Sir Alfred Pease, part of the Capstick reprint library of old Africana

Reactions: edger

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
About half way through Nigel Hamilton's 3 volume work on FDR and world war two. A tremendous read, both detailed about the history but also chock full of interesting anecdotes about the relationship between FDR and Churchill. If you are interested in the period, the people and the events (which every American ought to be) you will really enjoy these three books.

Status
Not open for further replies.