PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
3B84D2D8-DED6-4EB9-B782-349C387E5972.jpeg
“Swan Song” by Robert McCammon. Nuclear winter and warheads scatter survivors to the wind, with some supernatural elements that make this an enjoyable read. A washed-up professional wrestler, a little girl, a junkie, a shoe salesman, a young boy, and a retired soldier all have intertwined stories as they grapple with a hostile remnants of our world.

It reads a lot like King’s ”The Stand”, with similar slower pace and flawed-yet-likeable characters. It definitely tickles my post-apocalyptic itch.

Reactions: Carol and Gus

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 67365
“Swan Song” by Robert McCammon. Nuclear winter and warheads scatter survivors to the wind, with some supernatural elements that make this an enjoyable read. A washed-up professional wrestler, a little girl, a junkie, a shoe salesman, a young boy, and a retired soldier all have intertwined stories as they grapple with a hostile remnants of our world.

It reads a lot like King’s ”The Stand”, with similar slower pace and flawed-yet-likeable characters. It definitely tickles my post-apocalyptic itch.
Read that one back in the '80s. The Job's Mask transformations always fascinated me, and the description of Sue Wanda's appearance after her mask came off was very dream like.

You might also enjoy Paula Volsky's "Illusion".

Reactions: KafkaStoleMyBike

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
View attachment 67365

I really enjoyed that one. I recommend in that vein:
Station Eleven
The Dog Stars - Peter Heller
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

And the best, one of my favorite books of all time:
George R. Stewart, Earth Abides (1949)
It reads like it was written yesterday.

1614163723837.png

Reactions: Carol, Gus and RonB

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
I really enjoyed that one. I recommend in that vein:
Station Eleven
The Dog Stars - Peter Heller
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

And the best, one of my favorite books of all time:
George R. Stewart, Earth Abides (1949)
It reads like it was written yesterday.

View attachment 67699
You’re quoting some of my favorites! I have Earth Abides in my “to read” shelf and will add the next!

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have finished, "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stevenson"

913d9eHailL.jpg

Now start to reading, "Knockemstiff" by Donald Ray Pollock

978843973244.gif

Reactions: JOHN72 and RonB

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have Been reading "Ship pf Dreams: The sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era" by Gareth Russell. Great read. I have read a lot of books about the Titanic over the past 40 years or so, and this is one of the very best. Lots of facts and imagery and very interesting commentary regarding the Edwardian period itself. While an interest in the Titanic is helpful, there are lots of fascinating things in this volume. You also do not need to be well versed in Titanic lore or for that matter even know very much at all about the subject.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just re-started this:

5367._SY475_.jpg

I bought that one about 15 years ago; started reading it about 10 years ago, but then stopped and lost track of where I had been. :oops:

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.