PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I'm reading Bartholomew Gill's old mystery: Death of an Irish Seawolf. It was highly rated somewhere I now can't recall (maybe Wall St Journal?) so I picked it up. So far it is quite good. I am pretty particular with mystery novels as I expect excellent writing, realistic characters and a good plot. Not many come up to the mark, IMHO.

• Love
Reactions: edger

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My mother fled Hungary twice, and has a similar story, so hit close to home.

Al, you might enjoy this, it is told by an Englishman who travelled to Hungary in 1956 with medical supplies. Fantastic first hand account.

P_20210228_163234.jpg

Pursuit of Power is one I would recommend (I posted it earlier),but now on to some lighter fare:

71LswiA6cdL.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We have that, well, my mother has it, not sure she'll ever read it, I better get it back.
Al, you might enjoy this, it is told by an Englishman who travelled to Hungary in 1956 with medical supplies. Fantastic first hand account.

View attachment 68449

Pursuit of Power is one I would recommend (I posted it earlier),but now on to some lighter fare:

Reactions: edger

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
I’ve been on a Rex Stout “Nero Wolfe” kick lately. Currently reading “Too Many Cooks”. I love all the old pulp detective novels from Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, but there is something about the Nero Wolfe stories that is unparalleled in my opinion. Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe are 2 of the finest literary characters every created, and the supporting cast is all great as well (Inspector Cramer, Fritz Brenner, Saul Panzer, etc.). Bought the box set from the A&E series years ago with Maury Chaukin as Wolfe and Timothy Hutton as Archie, and my wife and I still enjoy rewatching those as well!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
"Master of the Revels" - Nicole Galland

It's a second book in D.O.D.O. series. But sounds like Neal Stephenson wasn't involved in writing it. But I haven't noticed much difference. Taking time reading it. Fun, light read.

Reactions: JOHN72

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Trying to figure out where to go next. I’ve got two weeks off of school coming up and looking forward to having some free time to read. Want to make it worthwhile, but not sure which direction I want to go.

Reactions: JOHN72

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Reading a series of historical spy fiction by David Downing.It’s set in Germany during the war period very evocative of that time and place.Similar style of writing to Alan Furst. Zoo Station is the first book in the series 5/5

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Broke things up with this sci-fi novel. It was a little confusing as it was second in a trilogy, but enjoyable nonetheless. I might pick up the third just for some closure.

62301._UY475_SS475_.jpg

On to another history non fiction book, this time about England in 1914. It is told as snapshots of life from the beginning of the year to the end. Should be a good one.

51S-Ify2jOL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.