PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCF

Lifer
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
Beginning my summer reading list, which is always the Aubrey/Maturin novels of Patrick O'Brian. My uncle gifted this book, and the second in the series, Post Captain, to me in the early nineties. I was hooked and off to the races. I did catch up to the hardback books, but then Mr. O' Brian passed away.
So, I read them all every summer now, because they are amazing reads and so much fun to re-vist. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it's become my own small tradition.
20230610_173306.jpg

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Beginning my summer reading list, which is always the Aubrey/Maturin novels of Patrick O'Brian. My uncle gifted this book, and the second in the series, Post Captain, to me in the early nineties. I was hooked and off to the races. I did catch up to the hardback books, but then Mr. O' Brian passed away.
So, I read them all every summer now, because they are amazing reads and so much fun to re-vist. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it's become my own small tradition.
View attachment 226966
These books look good. I just picked up the first one to start today. I enjoy a good sea story. My favorite to date is "Two Years Before the Mast", by Richard Dana. Highly recommended.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
"The Image of a Drawn Sword" by Jocelyn Brooke.

First published around 1950. Quite a strange little novel. The only way I can think to describe it is Existential Horror. But not like modern horror at all. No monsters. No gore. Just a creeping sense of dread and the suspicion that nobody really has any idea what's going on and possibly not even who they are. Often compared to Kafka and I can see why. Also a lot like Robert Aickman's "Wine Dark Sea" and maybe "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" by Shirley Jackson.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
View attachment 226966
Just finished them again a few weeks ago. There’s a POB aprreciation group on Facebook if you are interested. Patrick O'Brian Appreciation Society | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2215774752/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=10160131865819753

Last edited:

upnorth1

Lifer
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
This is a novel about the 2 "halves" of Canada, the French and the English. Very interesting read. I have both Irish Canadian and Que'be'cois relatives in Ontario. So it hits home. It was written back in 1946 so is outdated to some degree. But the folks I know still have those same feelings. Heritage is important.View attachment 225977
This is interesting. I’m a Quebecer, blended family, English on my mother’s side, French on my father’s. I grew up in a French town with a small English community and went to an English school. I was in Montreal during the October crisis and know both sides well. I read this book many years ago and when I was a student at McGill University Hugh MacLennan was one of my English profs. His classes were always a treat.

• Wow
Reactions: Carol and BCF

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
This is interesting. I’m a Quebecer, blended family, English on my mother’s side, French on my father’s. I grew up in a French town with a small English community and went to an English school. I was in Montreal during the October crisis and know both sides well. I read this book many years ago and when I was a student at McGill University Hugh MacLennan was one of my English profs. His classes were always a treat.
Wow! That's really something! Small world! Thank you for telling me about that!

Reactions: BCF

Mortamyhr

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Just finished The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward. She really did her research on the subject matter. I have to admit, when I first started reading it I really didn’t know where it was going. Seemed almost silly at first (it’s not). But it was definitely pulling me in. Totally worth sticking it out. Highly, highly recommend if one likes psychological thrillers. Beautifully put together and really makes you think about all the possibilities of the human mind and our survival capabilities.
4182EEF6-A7D4-486F-9F66-2DA75CAF7292.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It’s supposedly “the” book and 17 years old. Got it for obvious reasons. It’s way too verbose, but has a lot of good stuff - don’t agree with all of it and I’ve changed training philosophy a lot over the years, but it’s 90% a great reference and her approach is more modern and much more sensible for general and hunting companions than the more negative reinforcement approach of that “wunderkind” James Wolters from back in the day. This little gal is getting the best of all I’ve learned, and still learning —hope I live up to her!!!!IMG_2558.jpegIMG_2554.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.