PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Currently reading How Green Was My Valley, just finished Death Be Not Proud recently. I tend to stick to late 19th/early 20th century works, so I’ve tackled a lot of Steinbeck and H.G. Wells this year, too.
I don't read often and books don't often stick with me, but Death Be Not Proud really hit me. It's been probably 12 years since I read it.

Reactions: StringBEan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Eighty Dollar Champion by Elizabeth Letts, about a Dutch immigrant who comes to the U.S. with his wife to start a life after war ravaged WWII Holland. He's a horseman who discovers a horse in the slaughter house trailer that looks like it might make a training horse for a girl's school where he works. He has limited hopes but bonds with the horse as a fellow survivor and later discovers its remarkable talents as a jumper that he rides to dual championships at the National Horse Show. This is non-fiction and also a portrait of horse culture in the U.S. after the big war. Maybe the most spectacular scenes are when the horse reveals its powerful talents escaping to re-join his human friend after he's sold off to neighbor-farmer.

Reactions: edger

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Just finished the Sackett series by Louis L’Amour.
Sixteen books, most of which were like an easy to be around, solid, and trusted friend.
I also think I am more of a man now.
Kind of like how I am more of a kung fu fighter after watching a Bruce Lee movie. ?

Reactions: edger

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Fort Wayne is Seventh on Hitler’s List is a collection of short stories set around Indiana.
It is by Michael Martone - I forgot to put him in yesterday’s post.

Reactions: ChonkyTonks
Status
Not open for further replies.