PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Of my ever growing collection of antiquarian books, I have just started reading 'The State Of Physick And Of Diseases' by John Woodward MD, written and published in 1718.

It's all pustules, puss and phlegm with much 'biliose salts' and 'purges' thrown in for good measure! I'm not so much interested in medicine but am very interested in the language of the time and the thinking of that time.

This was a period in history where serious advances were being made in methods of curing diseases and such, it is actually quite a good read.....sort of :rolleyes:

That all said, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of some of the remedies mentioned in the book!

Regards,

Jay.

Book 1.jpg

Book 40.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That's one of my absolute favorites.
You've probably seen this photo before but just in case you haven't here's a photo of Cherry-Garrard & his chums from back in the day. Cherry is at the typewriter & if you look closely you'll see a couple of lovely old 'Cutter Top' tins. Capstan & Waverley Mixture. To the right of cherry sits another author Frank Debenham (The Quiet Land - Antarctic Diaries). Smoking what looks suspiciously like a Peterson Kaffir.
image.jpeg

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
"Better than I was expecting and superior to the film."

That often is the case. I remember the film Carrie, it was pretty good but the book (which I read later) was much better.

Regards,

Jay.

Because so much was made of director Danny Boyle's stylistic flourishes I expected the book to be just the script in embryonic form. But the text is markedly different - a collection of episodes without any explicit narrative arc, plus more depth on each character, with most speaking in first person. And its written in a more direct vernacular ah telt him I ken he wa a wee doss c*nt, etc.

Never read it but I bet Stephen King generally reads better than the films, perhaps with the exception of The Shining?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Grant's Memoirs.

9780486285870.jpg

S

ScienceSmoker

This week is Stealing the Mystic Lamb by Noah Charney.
My goal is 1 book a week, but I always fall short of that.
Still, I just finished The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell last week.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
You've probably seen this photo before but just in case you haven't here's a photo of Cherry-Garrard & his chums from back in the day. Cherry is at the typewriter & if you look closely you'll see a couple of lovely old 'Cutter Top' tins. Capstan & Waverley Mixture. To the right of cherry sits another author Frank Debenham (The Quiet Land - Antarctic Diaries). Smoking what looks suspiciously like a Peterson Kaffir.
View attachment 115756
Such a fantastic photo. Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Has anyone read this book? It won a literature award in 1962. I was at a park in a small town in Louisiana this afternoon, with my granddaughter and they have a statue for the author, was lived in the town (Covington). The book premise sounded interesting.

1640297828296.png

Reactions: AlanH
Status
Not open for further replies.