PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chrisbate

Lurker
Feb 12, 2020
Endymion, third book of Dan Simmons’ Hyperion series. Through the second chapter and the narrator has fought and killed a man over shooting his hunting dog. Oh, and it is a sci-fi. My type of book exactly.
I loved the first two books. For some reason I lost interest in the third one. Maybe I need to pick it up again.

Reactions: JoeW

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
No way. I just thought of this one and added it to my "to read" list last month. I loved these books as a kid! How is it holding up?
I think Redwall was the worst of the lot, but only because it was the first. There was the occasional mention of human type things, a town, a dog, a cat, chess, a horse pulling a cart.
The overall story and the writing was excellent, as it is in all the other books.
I enjoyed reading it again.

Since my post I have also read "The Long Patrol" and I am currently half way through "Salamandastron". So I'm properly getting back into them.
I wish these books were still on the shelves for children now, instead of the rubbish they are given nowadays.

Adults can easily enjoy these books.
What I do find odd is that I started reading these when I was 10. My son who is now 11 is still reading way easier books (with pictures). But I suppose I was a very good reader for my age, but all my children are dyslexic. I have read "Mossflower and Mariel of Redwall out to my daughter. But she wasn't all that keen.

Reactions: Snook
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I do not know this writer. But I will look into it. Thanks friend, for the recommendation.
It is not a walk in the park ( close to 700.000 words, 1600 or so pages ) , but you'll be astonished and possibly get hooked on it.
I laid it aside for a few days and then started feeling lonely.
Currently reading the first integral Dutch translation, the German original will follow.
You're welcome my friend. Keep me posted :)

Reactions: JOHN72

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I loved the first two books. For some reason I lost interest in the third one. Maybe I need to pick it up again.
I read these when they came out, and reread the whole series about 6 years ago. I think they held up well: worth reading if you liked the first 2. Dan Simmons is probably my favorite “new” (post 1980s) SF writer.

PipePint&Cross

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2023
Indiana
Brandon Sanderson is a beast when writing. A lot of fun for me but ymmv.
I like Sanderson, he has great ideas and is a good storyteller, though I do find his writing style only just serviceable. It works well enough for him, especially at the speed he writes. The Mistborn trilogy was really great. I was enjoying the Storm light Archives, but kinda abandoned it after the second book. I should return to it at some point.

Reactions: captainsousie

PipePint&Cross

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2023
Indiana
I am just finished up Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe and will be starting Sword and Citadel today. I've been interested in reading this series for 25 years and finally picked it up. It is pretty fascinating so far. It is confusing and incomprehensible at times but at no point have I lost faith that the author knows where he is taking me. It, at times, reminds me of Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled, which is a strange dreamlike book that definitely requires a leap of faith to get though. Anyways, I am still not sure how I feel about this Gene Wolfe series, but it has been an enjoyable read so far.

Reactions: JOHN72
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m relearning the saxophone after a 50 year hiatus. My late father played pro in his youth and stayed with it until his lungs gave out. I haven’t received this yet but I’m really looking forward to starting it.

View attachment 329215

I bought my copy awhile back, but have yet to start it—I need to get back into a “reading books at home mindset.” I used to do the bulk of my reading on the subway, but this book would be too cumbersome to carry around (plus, as a collector, I wouldn’t want to subject it to wear and tear in my bag).

20240810_102340.jpg

Sonny Rollins is one of my favourite sax players. I feel lucky to have met him; he generously signed a bunch of my 1st pressing LPs several years back.