PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I tend to read at night to unwind and go to sleep easier. Often pulp si-fi. Stuff that is easy to digest. Currently, Im reading some more free ebooks by C. Litka. He writes some enjoyable books.

Reactions: RonB

MartyA

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I just finished reading "Reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln" collected and edited by Allen Thorndike Rice, 1886. A fascinating old book about a fascinating man.
If you come across a copy, I recommend reading the brief biographical sketches of the contributors in the back as you work your way through.
BTW, the Abraham Lincoln pipe was whittled by my father. I added the long stem, and I'm sure my father would have approved of my modifying it into a "lesepfeife" as much as he'd approve of me reading an old book about Lincoln. :)

Attachments

• Abraham Lincoln  (3).jpg
    Abraham Lincoln (3).jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Here are my three current reads:

Anthony Trollope's Victorian novel The Way We Live Now. It's about the decline in Victorian society with its obsession with money and unscrupulous speculators. Sounds kinda current, huh? Some consider this Trollope's best novel but I can't say that I agree.
Mary Beard's history of the Roman Empire SPQR. A lot of social detail without as much detail about the emperors and the wars as I am used to.
Alan Furst's The Polish Officer. A spy novel about a Polish officer starting with the fall of Poland in WWII and his espionage activities in France.

IMG_3777 (1) - Copy.JPG