Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
A few chapters into this, better than I had anticipated. His parents were holocaust survivors from Poland. My mother was a WWII refuge from Hungary, so some parallels (and in their patterns later in life).
I need to read this. I have watched several of the interviews he gave during the book tour, the one with Lifeson was best of course.
I read most of Peart's books.

Reactions: UB 40

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Jefferson Davis and his Generals: The Failure of Confederate Command in the West. - Steven E. Woodworth

A very interesting read.
General Braxton Bragg was a member of my family. He is most often excoriated by historians for his role in the war. While there was certainly fault to be found and this account doesn't sugarcoat his failings, it is more sympathetic, showing there were serious strategic, political and personal issues beyond his control, often exacerbated by Jefferson Davis himself.

Reactions: RonB
Aug 1, 2012
USA
I know it sounds silly but I've been catching up on Bagwell's Awaken Online series. It drew me in because I love playing computer RPGs. To me it's unique in the genre

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Just finished the first volume on Mark Lewishon's "Tune In" a magnum opus about the Beatles. It is over 800 pages and covers about 4 years (58-62). It took him 10 years to write and he has been working on Vol 2 for more than 10 years. A tremendous read, but really intended for in depth Beatles devotees. For more casual readers " one, two, three four" is a very good read.
Also have been reading Shelby Foote's "The stars in their courses " which is an excerpted piece from his epic Civil War tome. Great stuff.

Reactions: JOHN72