PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
Currently reading Words of Radiance (stormlight archive series).
Got a lot of tins open. but i was smoking royal yacht last night while reading

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
"The theory and practice of rivers" by Jim Harrison. It's something I read at least once a year.
Smoking GLP Chelsea Morning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great books on the MIddle East, and not the downer I expected for the raw energy of the reporting and research, "Then All Hell Broke Loose" by Richard Engel, NBC correspondent who moved to Egypt and an array of other places in the Middle East over twenty years and learned Arabic and is beyond an area expert, and a superb journalist; and "Black Flags," by Jobey Warrick with the Washington Post, an extensively researched incredibly well-written history of Isis. Both these are in-depth critiques of U.S. policy that go far beyond polarized party politics and deliver the culture and politics of the Middle East, its history and its present. Challenging, tough, and uncompromising. No one will come away patting himself on the back.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
While it's technically not reading, I have found myself sitting on the patio at night with a pipe of whatever I select to smoke and listening to old time radio programs. One of my favorite podcasts for this is Great Detectives of Old Time Radio. I have also listened to all the episodes available for Sherlock Holmes on Old Time Radio. Most of the episodes are 30 - 35 minutes in length and star some of the great actors/actresses of the Golden Age of Movies and TV. The ones I've listened to so far date from the 1930s to 50s.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Rereading the "Day to Day Armageddon" trilogy preparing to revive book 4 this month, enjoying H&H White Knight in a Mr. Brog briar pickax.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This evening it's been Sutliff's Heavy English in a recently acquired and refurbished estate Doodler while reading Northrup Frye's "The Educated Imagination".

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Ray Bradbury - Stories Volume 2" and Frog Morton's Cellar in my "gardening pipe," a rusticated Savinelli Punto Oro 316. As I read through this thread it appears that FMC is a popular accompaniment to the written word.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not reading, grilling steaks and fresh garden squash and tried a new tin I got, East India Trading Company Royal Challenge in a Patriot Cob Pipe, enjoyed it enuff to pen a review

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A story about the Pony Express and some Carter Hall
chadhall1-600x336.jpg

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Beezer-good man. Today I read Roberth Letham's book, "The Holy Trinity", the book of James (current sermon series that we're preaching through), and Mark Jones' "Knowing Christ" while smoking "Autumn Evening", as today was the first real Fall feeling day here.
In a few days I'll be sittin' up at my cabin, smoking who knows what and reading (for the 1000x time) "A River Runs Through It".

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Diamond lucidly offers a brilliantly reasoned answer to a short but very complicated question. Whether one buys his answer or not, he's an excellent writer.
I also just reread A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman. Another excellent writer whose prose is always a pleasure to read. If you think the 20th century was eventful, give the 14th a look.
Both are excellent complements to your favorite pipe tobacco.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Jazz: I second Graves' Goodbye to All That. Last year I read that along with Ernst Juenger's Storm of Steel and Siegfried's Sassoon's autobiography (and his autobiographical fiction The George Therston trilogy). After the memoirs I read Remarque's All Quiet On The Western Front and Edward March's Company K. In retrospect, that was perhaps too much WWI misery all in a row

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Currently studying for the GRE. It wasn't required for my first masters in seminary but it is required for my masters in counseling. The pipe provides a great studying atmosphere.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Received our new plainer/joiner at work, gota go over the tech manual and develop a preventive maintenance (PM) checklist for the boss, well now I have a reason to sit and smoke, I mean read, not a total loss :puffy:

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
@krizzose the storm of steel is a very amazing read, I do recommend it to people who have not read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.