PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
One of the absolute hillbilly nostril nosed twanger hit songs of years ago is I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name, which has been recorded and released by almost countless Nashville stars and was written and performed first by Lee Emerson Bellamy, in 1956.

Some versions of the song have the singer leaving his (or her) lover and still hearing them call their name, most have the singer getting dumped:

Lee Emerson Bellamy was shot and killed by Barry Sadler (Ballad of the Green Berets) in 1978 in a dispute over a woman, and Sadler had to spend a month in jail, so he wasn’t missed much, I suppose.

Of all the versions, and there are over a dozen, my favorite is by Pretty Miss Norma Jean, but she was my first heartthrob anyway, before Dolly came along.

You know you’re Ozark American, if you think Pretty Miss Norma Jean got a raw deal when Porter fired her and hired Dolly.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When Ozark Americans gather in conclave and the guitars come out one song sure to be performed is Talk Back Trembling Lips, by Ernest Ashworth.

It’s not a hillbilly song, originally. It’s pure Nashville Sound. It was a monster hit, and was Ashworth’s signature song for the rest of his life.

On November 22, 1963 just past 12:30 my Daddy was frying me up some mouth watering R B Rice bologna and Ernie was singing Talk Back Trembling Lips when the DJ at KWTO in Springfield cut the record off and reported

President John F Kennedy has been shot and wounded by a sniper in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas about twelve thirty Central Time. This station will report further as this story develops.

Daddy looked at me and I ran into the living room and turned on the television.

The phone started ringing, people called each other to see if they’d heard the news.

I was five and a half, and that weekend is as clear in my memory as if it were last year.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Isn't that the Japanese group with three girls who doesn't play any instruments?
Yeah, that's them. They look underage but they're in their mid 20s. Extremely lively performance, they dance non-stop and still manage to sing at the same time. Without a visual reference when listening to them they come off more like Alvin and the chipmunks on speed! Crazy, but entertaining.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am listening to Chubby Checker and his song the "Twist" and "Let's Twist Again". The 50's were a great if you were a kid. The 60's started out good before we were sent to Viet Nam.

5/5

"Come on let's twist again
Like we did last summer
Yeah, let's twist again
Like we did last year
Do you remember when
Things were really hummin'?
Yeah, let's twist again
Twistin' time is here"

Product Image

Status
Not open for further replies.