PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
24727726-8D1A-4579-B613-BBA4A84E7A49.jpeg

We hosted a bourbon tasting at our house last night. The bottles above are what was selected from my collection to taste. One guy brought a Old Rip Van Winkle and a 2020 George T. Stagg. Another brought a collection of 8 Bookers and a E. H. Taylor barrel proof. We had one friend who is just starting his bourbon journey, so we started him off with the Blanton’s, since most of what was offered was barrel proof.
The George T. Stagg “won” the night, with the Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye the surprising runner-up. A good time was most definitely had by all. Cheers!

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
View attachment 146877

We hosted a bourbon tasting at our house last night. The bottles above are what was selected from my collection to taste. One guy brought a Old Rip Van Winkle and a 2020 George T. Stagg. Another brought a collection of 8 Bookers and a E. H. Taylor barrel proof. We had one friend who is just starting his bourbon journey, so we started him off with the Blanton’s, since most of what was offered was barrel proof.
The George T. Stagg “won” the night, with the Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye the surprising runner-up. A good time was most definitely had by all. Cheers!
Old RVW? My heart! I once had 25 year old at a bar in Louisville, and I fell in love!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Costco Irish. I’m on a budget. Tastes good. Gives me my Celtic buzz. What’s not to like?
I typically like your style. And the cost-effective booze gets you to the same destination, no different than the cargo ticket on a n ocean liner.

My poison of choice is typically Canada House whiskey or Ezra Brooks bourbon, which are economically friendly, decent mixers, and surprisingly legit with some ice cubes and a splash of water.

Ezra Brooks is king of low cost bourbon. I'd be interested in an aficionado giving their thoughts.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I typically like your style. And the cost-effective booze gets you to the same destination, no different than the cargo ticket on a n ocean liner.

My poison of choice is typically Canada House whiskey or Ezra Brooks bourbon, which are economically friendly, decent mixers, and surprisingly legit with some ice cubes and a splash of water.

Ezra Brooks is king of low cost bourbon. I'd be interested in an aficionado giving their thoughts.
Yeah, I ‘m traveling steerage. I’ll checkout Ezra Brooks. My go to bourbon is usually Evan Williams cause it’s in the grocery store.
Some of the forum’s drinkers have more elevated tastes than mine, same with their pipes and tobaccos. I’m mostly a regular guy who likes a smoke and a tipple.
Thanks for responding!

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
It's usually Wild Turkey 101, Jim Beam, or Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond for me. I will venture out and try new things when there is a sale, but I have found the previous three mentioned (and Ezra Brooks) to be just as good or better than more expensive brands. I also grew up on Jack Daniels, Canadian Mist, and Windsor... which in my subjective opinion are good and affordable. I'm not an afficionado, but I felt compelled in my drunken haze.lol

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I have a History Channel documentary on dvd on the subject. It's been forever since I've watched it, but it delves into whiskey/whisky, bourbon, scotch whisky, Irish whiskey, and what seperates and distinguishes them from one another. It touches on the history of prohibition and speakeasys. Some of the stuff they were concocting back then could kill you when you drank it.

Status
Not open for further replies.