PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Having Cask Strength Longrow Red 11 Year Peated Campbelltown Single Malt (by Springbank Distillery) matured for nine years in bourbon barrels and followed by two years in Cabernet Franc Barriques. Each year, Longrow releases an 11 Year finished in a different barrel; I try to snag them whenever I can. They're well worth finding; a very tasty Scotch and highly recommended.

View attachment 133620
Are the lids to concentrate the smell, whereas it creates a more potent scent upon lifting?

What is the advantage, opposed to decanting or letting the liquid breathe? It seems overwhelming at first blush.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yes, the lids are mainly for nosing. If you wait five minutes, enough vapours collect to get a good whiff.

I used to use lenses on Glencairn copitas (dock glasses), but, friends would knock the lenses off more often than not. The ginger lids stay on a little better because of the lip and also fit the wee Glencairn glasses (they sit on the outside of the rim as opposed to the inside of the regular size). The regular Glencairn glasses are better for casual drinking and general enjoyment. The dock glasses change the nosing experience and are useful if you really want to get in there; there's a greater concentration of the fumes, probably why distillers still use them to evaluate their whiskies.

I prefer Glencairn glasses to tumblers for whisky because the shape works for swirling and nosing. The lid can be taken off or left on as necessary and allows you to adjust what you may want, depending on what you want to focus on during tasting.

Some whiskies may have more layers and notes to appreciate than others and it will help to use the lid more.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yes, the lids are mainly for nosing. If you wait five minutes, enough vapours collect to get a good whiff.

I used to use lenses on Glencairn copitas (dock glasses), but, friends would knock the lenses off more often than not. The ginger lids stay on a little better because of the lip and also fit the wee Glencairn glasses (they sit on the outside of the rim as opposed to the inside of the regular size). The regular Glencairn glasses are better for casual drinking and general enjoyment. The dock glasses change the nosing experience and are useful if you really want to get in there; there's a greater concentration of the fumes, probably why distillers still use them to evaluate their whiskies.

I prefer Glencairn glasses to tumblers for whisky because the shape works for swirling and nosing. The lid can be taken off or left on as necessary and allows you to adjust what you may want, depending on what you want to focus on during tasting.

Some whiskies may have more layers and notes to appreciate than others and it will help to use the lid more.
Thank you for the prompt and detailed response.

Does.doing so burn your nose? I ask because I toured the Bacardi factory and they had a smell station to experience the difference of rum throughout the production process. Won't do that part again.

Also, have you tried (or are you willing to try) taking a splash of scotch and putting on your hand like aftershave?

I cooked for nearly 20 years and a chef showed me this trick, but it doesn't work with all scotch.

The various flavor profiles tend to gather in different parts of your hand. For example, vanilla on the thumb pad, oak by the pinkie, etc.

However, you'll look silly doing it, especially if a server walks in and sees 4 grown ass cooks smelling each other's hands and 4 different bottles scotch on the counter.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thank you for the prompt and detailed response.

Does.doing so burn your nose? I ask because I toured the Bacardi factory and they had a smell station to experience the difference of rum throughout the production process. Won't do that part again.

Also, have you tried (or are you willing to try) taking a splash of scotch and putting on your hand like aftershave?

I cooked for nearly 20 years and a chef showed me this trick, but it doesn't work with all scotch.

The various flavor profiles tend to gather in different parts of your hand. For example, vanilla on the thumb pad, oak by the pinkie, etc.

However, you'll look silly doing it, especially if a server walks in and sees 4 grown ass cooks smelling each other's hands and 4 different bottles scotch on the counter.
I don't often get a burn; maybe, I'm just used to it now? But, I guess it does happen on occasion. Some of my cask strength whiskies have clocked in at 140+ on proof (Susan says they curl your nose hairs).

I haven't tried the aftershave trick, but would be willing to try it. I must admit, I'd rather just spend the extra time nosing the spirit longer and have whatever amount pass over my tongue than have it on my palms. As I mentioned in a previous post, something like the Hibiki 21 has so much going on with the nose, you almost get more from smelling than tasting. We shared some with a friend with a terrific palate and he didn't even want to sip it, he was enjoying the aromas so much.

If you ever get to Glasgow, Scotland, I can't recommend taking the Master Class at the Glengoyne Distillery enough. It's a five hour tour and tasting class and is a wonderful experience that starts with a tour of the distillery and ends with a class where you start off smelling twenty different unmarked scents to test your ability to identify them and ends with you making your own 200 ml cask strength blend to take home. We lucked out when we went. The bachelor party we went to Scotland with split off into a lake fishing excursion and the distillery tour. There were only three of us enrolled in the class and we ended up spending over six hours with our guide, Janet, who has worked at the distillery since the '70s. It was a fun and memorable experience.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I haven't tried the aftershave trick, but would be willing to try it. I must admit, I'd rather just spend the extra time nosing the spirit longer and have whatever amount pass over my tongue than have it on my palms.
The aftershave trick is to help people taste the flavors by smelling the aromas first.

It's a rookie move until the palate gets more refined. You're obviously well past that stage. I was just curious. I've never heard of the aftershave trick since that experience (and have been typically mocked when raising it).

It was eye opening as an 18 year old cook who enjoyed rot gut whiskey and malt liquor (both still have their place).

The place where I used to buy alcohol and had a decent collection of scotch closed a couple of years ago. Since then, I have been buying from a couple of places whose collection is just OK.
I drove a few miles to a new place this week, and I finally have a new lineup.

First up today evening - Port Charlotte 10yo

Bruichladdich is a distillery which re-opened recently and they have been making some Avant-garde scotch. Port Charlotte is their medium peaty offering. I had tasted Port Charlotte a few years back. At that time it was NAS although if I remember there were some limited editions with Age. Since then, I could not find Port Charlotte until this week. Now it has a 10 year old age statement.

I now add water to my scotch most of the time. However this is extremely mild and nuanced and I may have ruined it with water. Next time I will try it with only 1 teaspoon water. Regardless it is quite enjoyable.

Having it with my staple cigar- Oliva Serie V Melanio

F374D19B-67D8-4FCA-8796-CB614ECA989C.jpegE29F56E3-8FA5-4A54-AE3C-C780164D3BB3.jpeg

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I'm having an Argentine beer along with a smoke of Argentine baccy. Both excellent quality.

20220318-190630.jpg

The place where I used to buy alcohol and had a decent collection of scotch closed a couple of years ago. Since then, I have been buying from a couple of places whose collection is just OK.
I drove a few miles to a new place this week, and I finally have a new lineup.

First up today evening - Port Charlotte 10yo

Bruichladdich is a distillery which re-opened recently and they have been making some Avant-garde scotch. Port Charlotte is their medium peaty offering. I had tasted Port Charlotte a few years back. At that time it was NAS although if I remember there were some limited editions with Age. Since then, I could not find Port Charlotte until this week. Now it has a 10 year old age statement.

I now add water to my scotch most of the time. However this is extremely mild and nuanced and I may have ruined it with water. Next time I will try it with only 1 teaspoon water. Regardless it is quite enjoyable.

Having it with my staple cigar- Oliva Serie V Melanio

View attachment 134856View attachment 134857
2. A few years ago there were 8 active distillery in the Island of Islay (Now I hear there are 9 and two more planned). I made a resolve to taste one offering from each - Consequently I tasted Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich & Port Charlotte, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin & Bowmore - One that I could never find was Kilchoman. I found Kilchoman finally this week and tasted their Sanaig offering. First taste - I found it quite complex with brine, spice and savory notes. I did not enjoy it as I like sweet notes in my scotch but will evaluate more. Will taste next week with photos

2. A few years ago there were 8 active distillery in the Island of Islay (Now I hear there are 9 and two more planned). I made a resolve to taste one offering from each - Consequently I tasted Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich & Port Charlotte, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin & Bowmore - One that I could never find was Kilchoman. I found Kilchoman finally this week and tasted their Sanaig offering. First taste - I found it quite complex with brine, spice and savory notes. I did not enjoy it as I like sweet notes in my scotch but will evaluate more. Will taste next week with photos
3. One week every year Balvenie produces a peaty whisky. They started in 2002 and I enjoyed the 2002 edition (14 yo) a few years back. It was exquisite and the best thing was that it was priced very low. I found another offering this week from the peat series. They no longer mention the year it was produced, it is no longer value priced but it is exquisite. Really exquisite ?

4. I like bourbon and American whiskey for a change of pace from Scotch. However my Bourbon experience is limited and my favorite is Four Roses Single Barrel and I have also liked various expressions of Jefferson’s Reserve, Basil Hayden’s, 1792 and Knob Creek. A new one for me today is Larceny small batch. With wheat, it tastes more like scotch to me rather than a bourbon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.