PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Continuing a thread on the pipe shapes, opened by our Forum member M Thompson, I thought I'll ask a somewhat similar question but on a different shape,this time,it'll be Lovat,and if there are any benefits to this shape,I'm to confess I have developed a love/hate relationship with this very shape,In my opinion its a being pretty versatile shape and often offers rather spacious chamber size ,whereas the overall shortness of the shape may result in hotter yet stronger smoke.Moreover, I'm noticing this very shape are becoming less popular amongst the contemporary pipe manufacturers line ups.So what are your preferences, do You like or dislike the shape? Best Greets, Paul

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
the Lovat is my favorite shape, for the reasons you mentioned above. I don't believe I've seen one that I don't like, but I do prefer different sized Lovats for different applications, VA vs English etc...
I recently picked up a sweet Jerry Crawford Lovat that I couldn't resist. Will post some pictures soon.

Reactions: OzPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess I've been smoking for too many decades. Shape is more an aesthetic preference. They all smoke exactly the same to me.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I don't see the lovat as a "short" shape at all, it's a billiard variant - add some wood on the shank, take some length off the stem - same proportions as a billiard.
That advantage is the saddle stem, which is super comfortable.
Size ranges from tiny to huge, like many shapes.
At 6"long and 2" tall, this is a hell of a big pipe.
zWsMRVb.jpg

At 5"long and just an inch and a quarter tall, this is a pretty small pipe.
zjIes5y.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Sasquatch knows! All the billiard variants can vary in their sizing. The sizing is a preference when it comes the Lovat; I have a Cavicchi Lovat that is 6.25" that is fantastic for up to a 1.5h smoke with its larger group 5-ish size bowl. But for a clencher, the key is the saddle stem -- it can be sooooo comfortable; I prefer a shorter saddle stem with more of longer shank on a Lovat, but others will prefer the reverse as lucite/ebonite is lighter than briar. I find a lovat balances better in the mouth with a longer briar shank and a shorter stem; and above all, most of us like a pipe that balances well.
Here's my Cavicchi for reference....
s-l1600-600x296.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Interesting views here and great looking pipes,just recently grabbed an estate GBD Century Lovat which is rather long and lean and another one Jeanet Supreme which was opposite but has a fairly spacious chamber,I reckon I'm pretty much done with Lovats for the time being,got three of them total.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I've collected lovats exclusively for a long while now. Sometimes I think I should try something new but then I think I've found what I like so why bother?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I really like Lovats. Some are shorter, some are long. I prefer shorter ones -- with a saddle stem, they're easy to clench and they usually have a pretty decent chamber size for the amount of leverage they put on your gob.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the shape is less well defined than most, at least in the minds of pipe makers. I've seen somewhat of a variety of pipes labeled Lovat, some of which were something else. Another variable seems to be that some consider the long shank a categorical defining feature, whereas others do not. The ample billiard bowls is one ingredient; the saddle stem is another; the shank seems to be negotiable, some having the long shank and some not. My only Lovat -- so identified by the carver Mogen Johansen of Johs pipes -- is a short pipe with an intermediate shank like a billiard and a saddle stem. It's light weight for its size bowl, nicely balanced, cool smoking all over bowl and shank, and delivering smoke cool through the bit. I like a number of other shapes a little better, like the classic billiard for starters -- but I like my handy Lovat a lot. Still, it's not a shape i buy again.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
JPM, I don't really consider that big lovat a stack, it's a big pipe, but I don't think it's proportioned to what I think of as a stack... but whatever, it's a bit like toast - no real defined point as to where bread exactly changes over from bread to toast, but we all recognize toast, more or less! Whether it counts as a stack, it's a terrific smoker and a pipe I use a lot because it's got a great bit on it, very comfy.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love the Lovat shape! The saddle stem is very comfortable. They are workhorses. I have 14 total, including a 7 day +1 Castello set.
C7V9x4u.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
npod, I think shape identification is pretty fluid. Some of those bowls look very pot-like rather than billiard. One of them has a tapered stem. Were all of them sold to you by the makers as Lovats? It's sort of like the pronunciation of your name. If you say they're Lovats, that's what they are. But this illustrates the flexibility on the name of that shape. None of yours have the elongated shank shown in some of the earlier photos on this thread. My Lovat has this shorter shank.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Semantics. I just happened to have that pic saved online and easy to post. Those are actually all opera shape 44 Castellos. But very similar to the Lovat. I have classic Lovat and also stack/chimney Lovats as well. For me any billiard-esque shape with a saddle stem is a Lovat “in my mind”.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This pipe is literally the classic Lovat. A 1954 Dunhill root briar Lovat, unsmoked. This is indeed the shape I think of for a classic.

xV6rpEZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.