PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
I'm finding that I am drawn to the Lovat shape the most. My 2 best smokers are Lovats. It's funny how a shape can feel as if it is just made for you only.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Here are two recent pieces I've picked up, both by Jerry Crawford. One a natural Lovat and the other a slim Canadian.

img_2779-600x450.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For me Lovats make really good flake pipes. Since I really enjoy Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, Newminster 403 and Newminster400, Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, etc. I get more use out of my Lovats than other shapes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did someone already say that one of the benefits of the Lovat shape is making the pun on "love it?" We've had some mileage on Forums on that.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Was wondering what to smoke next but this thread has made up my mind.
My one Lovat in service at this time is a Todd Harris Morta Panel Lovat, in which I usually smoke burley flakes until I am cross-eyed and drooling. Thanks for the inspiration
morta-1-600x338.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I think that the only pipe shape I don’t like is a Blowfish. I have one Lovat, a Rossi. I like a lot of pipes in the Canadian family. I have always desired a pre-Cadogan GBD Canadian but, I have yet to pull the trigger on the ‘right’ one.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I bought a Lumberman and a Canadian several months ago. After close inspection, I think they're both Lumberman pipes.
I smoke one of them occasionally and do enjoy it. But, they aren't my go to pipes by any means. This thread is making me want to give them a more frequent workout. Maybe they'll become favorites.
861a4fd3-aaab-4a36-8ce2-3218af3b72bc-371x600.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
@Paul
I get that. I just happen to like what many would consider the most mundane pipe shape ever so I rarely buy anything else. Sometimes I go crazy and get an 1/8 bent billiard when I am feeling whacky :D

ricebiscuit

Lurker
Aug 28, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
I had always heard one of the benefits to the Lovat shape was that the smoke stayed in contact with the briar for a longer amount of time. Whether that is actually detectable is a different animal, but in principle it makes sense.
Now the ultimate exercise is shape fluidity is the difference between a Bulldog and a Rhodesian. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why would that even be a benefit? And there's generally clear definition of bulldog vs.rhodesian, but some will want to muddy the waters.

ricebiscuit

Lurker
Aug 28, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
I guess longer time in the briar is a poor way to phrase it. A greater briar to ebonite ratio would be beneficial. Smoke travelling through briar is better than smoke travelling through ebonite or metal tubing. The briar will absorb the moisture in the smoke better that ebonite will. Same reasoning behind why an inner tube pipes tend to smoke wetter.

Status
Not open for further replies.