PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Advice on life always makes me think of this. Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago Tribune Columnist Mary Schmich wrote Wear Sunscreen. It was a hypothetical commencement speech. It was later made popular by Lee Perry/Baz Luhrmann song version. Also played at the end of the movie The Big Kahuna. Entertaining, and a lot of it hits home. Especially about parents.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and litup

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Avoid unnecessary debt, save for later, invest prudently. Money allows for freedom.

Never stop learning and developing new skills. Stasis is death.

Think critically.

Try to find a job/career/vocation you actually enjoy, overall. You’ll be spending a lot of time doing it. Seek out mentors in that work to learn from. Ask questions and listen to the answer. A person who really knows their stuff is usually happy to teach others who are sincere about learning.

TANSTAAFL.

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
Follow the Golden Rule, and you'll sleep fine at night. Work hard, but don't obsess over money: life is so much more than work, so stop and smell the roses every chance that comes along. Don't ever marry, period: this world is now primarily populated by rabidly delusional internet sex workers, thanks to social media. If you find a good one, commit to her (so long as it's mutual), but leave God and government out of it. Women don't "love" you for who you are, they "love" you for what you can do for them. Enjoy their friendship for however long it lasts, but remember that your other friends won't be demanding 50%+ of everything you own if they unfriend you. Most importantly, come to terms with the fact that this life is a mere blip on the hide of eternity--groom your spirit for the larger life that awaits us all. Be yourself, because no one else can be.

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm in my mid-thirties myself, so I am not exactly the wizened codger whose advice the OP was clamoring for. Even so, I'll approach this question as such: what advice would I have wished to have had been given in my 20s? There are three bits of advice that spring to my mind that, though I know them well now, I was only vaguely cognizant of when I was a young know-it-all in college.

1. Seek not to either stifle your emotions or to wallow in them, nor to elevate rationality above emotion or vice-versa. The goal should not be the elimination of desire and feeling, but rather its domestication. In the same vein, rationality divorced of feeling is both cold and deadening. Try to discipline yourself to think immediately as you feel, to question the impressions at the forefront of your mind.

2. Any person who can make you angry has made you a slave. If you cannot control your feelings, your tongue, or passions, then someone will eventually do it for you, and likely not to your advantage.

3. Read, read, read. And not just for pleasure, but with a critical eye. Stories let us playfully explore our morality and conduct in a controlled environment; histories let us know the ground on which we walk is paved with the dead, and that they whisper to us their hard-earned knowledge if we but listen; poetry nourishes the transcendent within us; rhetoric sharpens our minds and empirical studies provide us information about the world around us, a world which we may not always have the fortune to travel fully for our own sakes. READ.

• Wow
Reactions: litup and JOHN72

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@simong : Do you remember those London Underground posts about unattended luggage and terrorism. I always remembers that one that started 'If you see an unattended bag' and people would add in a big thick marker pen 'Go up and talk to her!'. rotf
No, used to avoid the tube in those days. On the rare day out in London I never used to venture much further than soho. Lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some of my dead fathers saying are these. He owned his own caproate law firm.
When referring to the stock market and other investments.
" Bulls and Bears make money. pigs get slaughtered"
"What is the one thing money cannot buy.......poverty"
" Rich or poor, it is good to have money"
" Never try to defend the indefensible"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some good advice so far in the thread, for people of any age. Probably the best advice can't be summoned in a short list of precepts that come immediately to mind. Rather, I think it has paid to have conversational relationships with many people, some of the a generation or two (or three) older than you. The best advice probably rises from stories from the long arc of life, some of it long ago, some of it yesterday or this morning. The best advice often comes spontaneously, from stories or incidental comments or thoughts.

Off the cuff, one good piece of advice is, don't do all the talking, and don't trust others who do all the talking. The best information and advice comes from those who listen well and aren't overbearing in conversation, and who really listen to others before sharing what they think.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I am a consultant in these matters, an expert in relationships of frightened children. I charge in advance, call me, my meeting points, are lonely woods and cheap hotel motels. Call me and I will solve your problem before you piss your pants. Jokes aside. Be observant with the people around you, analyze and decide. Flee from people who are envious, false and hypocritical. Make good friends who value you as you are and help you to improve.