PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Title edited for caps and brevity. -jpm
My advice would be to read the rules of a forum early on, esp. Rule 9! :)

I thoroughly enjoy hearing older people talk and give advice, with only one grandparent left, its got me thinking.

Pipe smokers tend to be more contemplative than most.

And they tend to be an older demographic, thus more experience.

What would you say if a 30 year old asked you "General life advice please and thank you"

Last edited by a moderator:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Couldn’t tell you. Been on my own since i was 16, never finished high school or gone beyond in “formal” education, have worked my entire life, i guess don’t be a slacker, don’t make excuses and dint blame others, you make your own choices in life, I’m 55 now and have made a comfortable life for myself, do i own a mansion, nope but i buy what i want and don’t have to worry about dropping money on things i want yet don’t need. So first and for,ost is to take responsibility for yourself and choices.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Do your best to learn from others' experiences, but appreciate what lessons life has for you when you don't. Do as you say, say as you do, and admit when you don't. The latter is a phrase I learned years ago that has kept my life clear of drama and issues that stemmed from insecurity, ego, and the inappropriate desire to be be something that I am not. Also, the Jones are in debt, marriage is failing, their kids are on drugs, and they are horrible to their pure bred pets. Ignore them and live the life you want to live. Don't work to impress anyone else.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thoroughly enjoy hearing older people talk and give advice, with only one grandparent left, its got me thinking.

Pipe smokers tend to be more contemplative than most.

And they tend to be an older demographic, thus more experience.

What would you say if a 30 year old asked you "General life advice please and thank you"
1. Never ask advice from a bunch of virtual strangers in a forum.
2. Avoid social media and cable news. Both will rot your mind, whatever there is of it.
3. Never reuse a condom. If you can't afford the price of entry, move on to other amusements.
4. See #1
5. A job isn't real until the paycheck has cleared the bank.
6. Don't be vague about your agreements. Life will be a lot easier if you have the balls to do that.
7. Honor your word or don't give it. That will set you apart from 90% of the rest of the population.
8. Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.
9. Don't inhale pipe smoke.
10. See #1

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
My advice would be to always buy a size bigger when it comes to shirts and pants. Your metabolism will eventually crap out on you and you’ll be stuck with lots of tight fitting clothes if you don’t.
Also social media and the news is a cancer on our world so avoid at all costs and tell the people you love that you love them because you never know when they will be taken from you.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I wish I had asked this question at 30, but I wasn't smart enough to do so.
-Being careful who you marry is a great one, but easier said than done. Maybe there are some good books on this subject.
-Don't waste time chasing things that are designed to boost your prestige or ego. Social media is toxic in this regard.
-Life is simple, don't complicate it.

Reactions: Winnipeger
Be careful who you marry.
Here's my advice on the subject... Have a really good reason to get married. Don't just jump into it because of family pressure or to follow your friends. I dated my wife for 9 years before we decided to buy a house, and that was our reason to get married. If we had not been married, we would have had to get a lawyer and treat the house like a business venture, but being married was the first real reason to get married we came across.
Kids... I have five plus a foster, and I love them all... but, have a good reason to bring kids into this world also. There is no financial pay out for the huge expense these boogers are. Really, really think about this, because once they're here, your stuck with them, and they ain't cheap.