PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Used to be 50-52's................ here of late, I've grown fond of the 38-46 sizes..........
I guess tastes change........... Once in a while though, a good ole 60 hits the spot!.............
oh- Torpedos, coronas and lonsdales are favorites.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Lanceros, Lonsdales, Panatella. I prefer cigars that are thin and give me a lot of wrapper to filler ratio. 46 ring gauge is the largest I smoked back in the day. I did enjoy Monte 2's and Upmann Torpedo's. But I mostly smoked thin cigars. One of my favorites was the Partagas Conniseur # 1's. Partagas and H Upmann Lonsdales were also favorites. The only fat cigars I smoked were the Diamond Crown # 6 torpedo's. One of my favorite cigars ever were the Don Carlos Lanceros. They were tough to get but I got my share and loved them.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am changing my stance based on a few more months of enjoying cigars. I originally thought thinner gauge. However, I have had a few more Lanceros and they are not my preference. I find them too intense for my palate. I am leaning more into box press robusto and toro vitolas.

I have not tried any really large ring gauges, but, I’ll put that on the list to try.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’m primarily a pipe smoker but like smaller cigars as a change of pace. Anywhere between 3-6 inches long, 26 to 46 ring gauge is the sweet spot for me. Short enough that it’s not a big commitment or a hassle to block out some time to enjoy it, and just long enough to be interesting.

I might feel differently if I were at a cigar lounge or similar, though…I think the fact I smoke outside in variable weather gives me a tendency to favor smaller pipe bowls and cigar vitolas.

May 14, 2021
Tejas
I stay within the typical Corona-Robusto range; however, if a new blend is out that I have yet to try, and the company offers it, ALWAYS Lonsdale, as it is the used as the "benchmark" when devising new blends.

Traditionally, when developing new blends, farmers and manufactures utilize this vitola most frequently, as they work to refine the desired profile etc. Once established, they will tweak the ratios in their blends to develop other sizes. I emphasize traditionally as the times are changing and this specific practice is slowly fading, in favor of appeasing market demand. To each their own, but Tupac said it best, "there aint nothin' like the old-school."

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Toros and Lonsdale are my favorite when I buy cigars. I have several molds when I roll - 22, 34, 41, 44, & 50 and my favorite is the 44x7. I sometimes find the 50 just too much smoke. The 41 is good but more suited to stronger blends.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Robusto at the moment, Corona’s a close second.
Don’t get to smoke many cigars but I’m no longer going to buy anything larger than a 50-52 ring gauge.
Just finished a Rothschild ( 56rg ) and found the bigger ring gauge off putting all of a sudden..
Now if I had the time and money Churchill’s would be bliss:col:

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Sometimes you can snag Churchills cheaper than other vitolas on auctions. They’re nowhere near as popular as robustos, toros, etc.
My next cigar purchase I’m taking the chance on ordering from the states, will have to check the auction sites out, see if they ship to Oz.
If not, still cheaper even if I get pinged by customs.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My next cigar purchase I’m taking the chance on ordering from the states, will have to check the auction sites out, see if they ship to Oz.
If not, still cheaper even if I get pinged by customs.
Gotcha. I didn’t notice you were in Australia. You have my prayers and sympathy on the draconian tobacco laws. I would love to visit Australia and do some overlanding. I love off-roading, but we mostly rock crawl up here in the states. Overlanding is something I haven’t done much of, and Australia has some beautiful backcountry. Good luck if you decide to go the auction route. ?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Brendan

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Gotcha. I didn’t notice you were in Australia. You have my prayers and sympathy on the draconian tobacco laws. I would love to visit Australia and do some overlanding. I love off-roading, but we mostly rock crawl up here in the states. Overlanding is something I haven’t done much of, and Australia has some beautiful backcountry. Good luck if you decide to go the auction route. ?
Ah, no worries it is what it is..
The beatings will continue until morale improves and all that.
I fear the rest of the world will soon catch up with what we are doing, so by all means everybody keep stocking up..
I think you would be spoiled for choice overlanding out here, here’s hoping the world gets back to normal and you can sooner rather than later ????

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Toros and Lonsdale are my favorite when I buy cigars. I have several molds when I roll - 22, 34, 41, 44, & 50 and my favorite is the 44x7. I sometimes find the 50 just too much smoke. The 41 is good but more suited to stronger blends.
Are the thinner sizes more difficult to roll well? What do you find easiest to roll?

Sorry, don't know any other cigar rollers, so you will get my cigar rolling questions! :)