PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am new to cigars, so far I tend to like thinner gauged cigars. Hopefully, what I’ve been told isn’t BS; the thinner gauge has a higher ratio of wrapper to filler, thus a different taste profile. It makes sense to me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Cuban Mareva, hands down AKA Petit Corona. It is unfortunate that they've been axed slowly but surely, but they typically offer some of the most concentrated flavors of their brand and a well-constructed cigar will last an hour and a half. If you ever have a chance to try the Upmann, Ramon Allones or El Rey del Mundo Petit Coronas, you will join me in my rage against the trend towards larger ring gauge jawbreakers.

I will give an honorable mention to panetelas and their spinoffs (delicados, etc). From Por Larrañaga Monte Carlos to HdM du Gourmet, La Gloria Cubana MdO no 1, 3 and 4, they somehow were almost always well-constructed, again offering a concentrated flavor and cool-burning characteristics.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Today, Ashton Cabinet and I prefer 50 ring. I like a creamy, nutty cigar. Used to wander into the Holtz store on Walnut Street in Phila for them. Decades ago, I enjoyed most of JR Cigars canary island matches of popular brands. Don’t know what’s available thru JR today. Their mail catalog was pure entertainment back then! I ordered Don Diego’s often and La Gloria. But I’ll only socially smoke a cigar today. A rare occurrence. If offered one, I’ll oblige my host. ☝️?. Can’t be rude!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Cuban Mareva, hands down AKA Petit Corona. It is unfortunate that they've been axed slowly but surely, but they typically offer some of the most concentrated flavors of their brand and a well-constructed cigar will last an hour and a half. If you ever have a chance to try the Upmann, Ramon Allones or El Rey del Mundo Petit Coronas, you will join me in my rage against the trend towards larger ring gauge jawbreakers.

I will give an honorable mention to panetelas and their spinoffs (delicados, etc). From Por Larrañaga Monte Carlos to HdM du Gourmet, La Gloria Cubana MdO no 1, 3 and 4, they somehow were almost always well-constructed, again offering a concentrated flavor and cool-burning characteristics.
I almost totally agree with this observation. Some days I believe I prefer the panetelas (38 ring) to the petit corona (42 ring). My all time favorite was the now discontinued H Upmann Petit Corona. I substitute the H Upmann Regalias of the same size for that one. Panetelas and lanceros have both become extremely overpriced. I am not sure if this is simply supply/demand or if the rolling focus has been devoted so much to the larger ring gauges that, few are taught these slimmer sizes.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I almost totally agree with this observation. Some days I believe I prefer the panetelas (38 ring) to the petit corona (42 ring). My all time favorite was the now discontinued H Upmann Petit Corona. I substitute the H Upmann Regalias of the same size for that one. Panetelas and lanceros have both become extremely overpriced. I am not sure if this is simply supply/demand or if the rolling focus has been devoted so much to the larger ring gauges that, few are taught these slimmer sizes.
At first, I thought the trend towards larger RG cigars was temporary and due to the poorly-yielding years of 15-17 (if memory serves) with back-to-back crop failures that led to the exhaustion of wrapper tobacco stores. Now, I am convinced that Habanos SA is keeping with the trend of larger ring gauge because it allows a greater ratio of filler to wrapper (with an eye towards using low-grade, nearly flavorless volado priming leaf) and allows them to charge more per cigar for, essentially, the flavor characteristics that could be accomplished in a thinner cigar.

Incidentally, HUPC was/is one of my all-time favorites as well. I've found the Upmann no 2 to be the closest in flavor, but the vitola is obviously not as comfortable.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Coronas and their variations and Lonsdales. I can appreciate most vitolas though if the cigar is good. I smoke a lot of toros because its either those or Robusto at the local shop and toros are kind of like big Coronas. For me, a corona just has the perfect wrapper to filler ratio, and provides a nice, long smoking time without over staying its welcome. They feel great in the hand and mouth, too. Lonsdales offer the same benefits and a slightly longer smoking time.

If I were designing a cigar from scratch, it would probably be a 6" x 46 corona gorda.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
For me it actually depends on the blend. Certain sizes of different blends tastes better to me than other sizes. I've actually smoked robusto sizes of blends that had more flavor that was more complex than the other sizes.

With that being said; for the most part I prefer Robusto, Toro, and Torpedo.

Reactions: dcon and JOHN72
I like a 6 x 60 (Gordo) the most. I believe the larger ring gauge means the cherry is cooler ( lower suction pressure from the draw) and yields more flavor. With 6 inches and 60 ring gauge I can smoke for about 80-90 minutes. Every cigar where I have smoked multiple ring gauge, the largest ring gauge have always tasted the best.

Having said that, I buy a range of sizes and shapes.