PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Are the thinner sizes more difficult to roll well? What do you find easiest to roll?

Sorry, don't know any other cigar rollers, so you will get my cigar rolling questions! :)
The smaller ones are so difficult! Well, at least for a super novice as myself. So many times I've aimed for a 34 and said screw it, and thrown it in the 41.

50s are easy, but so are the 44s. I think there's something to do with leaf length involved. I tried to explain but gave up and erased it. Something to do with how you overlap leaves and adding thickness to the tips from the tails with shorter leaf, but doubling the thickness with longer leaf that gets torn in half. Just uh.... More math?

I think it would help to do an extra sort of the leaves for thickness before figuring out a recipe. Sometimes leaves that are the same size can be so different in thickness that one weighs more than double the other.

Reactions: JOHN72

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I prefer a Gordo. I go through periods where I don’t get to smoke as often as I want. A good 6x60 gives me a nice long, slow smoke when I get the opportunity.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Dr. Fernando Ortiz , the author of "Contrapunteo cubano del tabaco y el azucar" , says that there is a vitola for every smoker. After trying several vitolas , mine , as yours , is the petit corona. I used to smoke rotschilds (now called robustos) and regular coronas as many others , even presidentes , now called double corona. Over time , i find more satisfaction on this short and slender smoke wich i do only at night after supper. Unfortunatly , all the rage seems to be on the so called robustos and petit coronas are out of fashion. There is a very limited selection on petit coronas if you compare with other vitolas by different manufacturers. Of whatever is avaiable , i always find something suitable for me. You see , the smoker not only select a vitola but the vitola seems to select a smoker too.

• Wow

Gooseman

Lurker
Jan 20, 2022
TX
6x44 or close to that. Lonsdale or Corona Gorda depending on the manufacturer. Have found those produce the most consistent and satisfying burn characteristics

Sep 18, 2015
Not a fan of the giant rings. I generally prefer a robusto or smaller. I feel that when you get above a 50 RG, you start losing the wrapper flavor.

Reactions: Rockyrepose
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In the '90s, my daily smoke was the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur III Connecticut Gran Toro. I still smoke them (the present day version seems milder to me, or my tastes and perception have changed), but, these days I lean towards Churchills and Double Coronas, maybe 50 gauge, for a relaxing two hour smoke. If pressed for time, a Robusto is the ticket. I miss the Punch Super Rothschild.

Reactions: Rockyrepose