PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As an Asian, carb is not just a food, but a way of life. Rice is God given. When Nationalist Chinese ran to Taiwan, they promised full bowl of steaming white rice to everyone. In Korea, food simply means rice. In Japan, how can anyone imagine life without noodle? Why, Marco Polo realized importance of hand stretched noodle and brought it to Italy. Human learned to harvest barley so they can brew beer and get drunk! I need carb.. No. I want carb! Well, I'm a diabetic, so trying to cut 'em out as much as possible without crashing.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
As an Asian, carb is not just a food, but a way of life. Rice is God given. When Nationalist Chinese ran to Taiwan, they promised full bowl of steaming white rice to everyone. In Korea, food simply means rice. In Japan, how can anyone imagine life without noodle? Why, Marco Polo realized importance of hand stretched noodle and brought it to Italy. Human learned to harvest barley so they can brew beer and get drunk! I need carb.. No. I want carb! Well, I'm a diabetic, so trying to cut 'em out as much as possible without crashing.
Wish I could make a decent bowl of rice . Love it!!

Reactions: bullet08
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Simple. Pressurized rice cooker. No one cooks rice directly over fire any more. Well.. Unless you are camping. But like I keep telling new scouts, no rice. If you want carb, go with pasta. Rice takes 25 min to cook. Pasta takes 7-10 min. Less fuel, and less weight to carry around.
Is there a cooker you wouild recommend?

For back packing, at it has been a while, was minute rice, lipton cup of soup, and some type of protein. Breakfast was oatmeal. I still have the circa 1980's Coleman Peak 1.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I did keto properly once back in 2011 or so, lost 15kg in 4 months and kept it off for a year at least. Then tried to jump back on several times without success.

Biochemically, keto makes perfect sense to me, and I'm a biochemist by training. It also pairs very well with intermittent fasting (basically missing breakfast, which for me is second nature - I never get hungry before midday), add some weight lifting on top of that and the fat loss is surreal, combined with never feeling hungry, having mental clarity and tons of energy. On the same thread about biochemistry, the typical high carb low fat over 6 "meals" per day dieting advice is bonkers, basically makes me hungry, angry and miserable and I don't lose a gram.

How to get back on the wagon though? I remember when I did keto I used to look at people (like me) eating all the high carb stuff and felt going and telling them there's a way to get back control.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I did the 4-5 meals per day plus snacks for a while when I was working on putting on weight. I hate feeling bloated and there was no way I would make 3000 calories/160+grams of protein on 3 meals so I'd eat all day long. It does have the effect of being hungry all the time. The longer I did it, the hungrier I'd be from meal to meal I guess because the machine is just always processing. I did put on my target weights at the time, kind of a pain though. I can see it working to lose weight if you tracked every single calorie and gram but I couldn't see how you wouldn't be hungry doing it.

I've noticed most plans fail because the end user often fails to really drive home the strict tracking requirements so you can appropriately adjust as you see positive or negative results. Someone thinks they are taking in X amount of nutrition, but their really say 15% higher since they aren't thoroughly and consistently tracking. The more fool proof the plan, the more people will have impacts of it.

Reactions: danimalia

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Keto does work for quick weight loss, but it's hard work and it made me obsessive and some people say Grumpy! So the wife and I settled on eating and drinking what we like between 08.30-17.30 and nothing after there are always exceptions. So that is basically one main meal including alcohol at lunchtime plus fruit and nuts a day.

As you are fasting outside of those hours you lose weight. We found our blood sugar levels dropped and our bloods came back to normal as did our weight. Partly because as our blood sugars dropped so did our appetites.
We have been doing this for five years, We are both physically active and we seem to have ample energy on one meal a day.
One bonus for me is fasting stopped acid reflux in its tracks and I'm now medication free. I'm over sensitive to sugar I can taste added sugar in a lot of things foods even tobacco so I try to avoid them.

johnmuellerr

Lurker
Nov 1, 2021

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I started with Keto about 4yrs back, lost 30lbs then hit a plateau about 4 months in. Been Carnivore ever since, with Sunday being a cheat day for a couple Burgers, made with a Keto bun though.
Carnivore dropped me another 20lbs and been happy with that Really easy to do if you're a serious meat eater to begin with.

Reactions: edger

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I've been full Keto for a bit. I cannot say enough how much better I feel over all, as well as general weight loss. Its amazing.

Its not a fad, its the way we are truly designed to eat. Wish more people would understand what proper nutrition is. Here in America we are doomed metabolically.

Reactions: edger

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Keto... Ugh! There was a time in my late 20's where I was very into fitness, in particular, weight lifting. Diet is a very important component of lifting. As the muscleheads say, abs are made in the kitchen.

Serious weight lifters will "bulk" (eat a few hundred more calories each day than your body needs) to build muscle, then "cut" to shed fat. The keto diet is popular for cutting. However, I tried it once, and after a week, I barely had the energy to make it through a workout. I was just sluggish all around. I went back to a "balanced macro" diet (approximately 1/3 of daily calories from carbs, 1/3 from protein, and 1/3 from fat) and stuck with it. My weight varied about 20 pounds between peak bulk and end of a cut, so I needed a predictable and tolerable way to lose weight. Keto was not it for me.

Reactions: fireground_piper

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
BTW, my apologies for not responding to some of the later responses to this thread. I think they were posted during the months that Brobs and I were involuntarily incommunicado.