PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I just went 100% plant based and feel 15 years younger! Thought it would be difficult, but the boost in energy is so instantly gratifying, the shift has been easy.
Nice! I'm a big believer in veganism as a healthy diet. Seems like there is a lot of BS and misinformation out there. For a while I kept getting hit with this YouTube ad of some shredded douche asking (rhetorically): "Are vegans healthy? French fries and beer are vegan..." before I hit the skip button. Surely trying to sell some supplement or other jive... The thought that always popped into my mind was, of course they are, you dumbass. Just look at your average vegan versus your average American. That's before you look at all the scientific evidence in favor of a plants based diet.

My main problem with going vegan was sticking to it. But I also lost weight, felt great, and watched my lab numbers instantly improve while I was on it. As I transition off my diet, I am thinking about trying to make most of my meals plants based.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am considering some type of diet. Just got blood work. My A1C is a bit high, 6.1%, and my HTL is low. Everything else was quite good. I need to cut back/out the sugar. I could lose 10 to 15 pounds but am certainly not obese at 205. I don't see the benefit of adopting a diet I can't sustain. I think I can do what I need with a few modifications.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am considering some type of diet. Just got blood work. My A1C is a bit high, 6.1%, and my HTL is low. Everything else was quite good. I need to cut back/out the sugar. I could lose 10 to 15 pounds but am certainly not obese at 205. I don't see the benefit of adopting a diet I can't sustain. I think I can do what I need with a few modifications.
Good luck!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Good job on trying to be healthy while smoking.... Just Kiddin!

I lost a few pounds (115 kg to 95 kg and dropping in fat%) in around 6 months with going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week with doing compound lifts, track my macros (not calories, macros, big difference) and fast for 12 to 16 hours. If I didn't worked out and my legs allowed me I walked 10K steps or took my bike for a spin. I started around 2200 calories with 200 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs and rest in fat calories, I adjusted just my macros (upped fat or protein and dropped carbs) when I didn't drop weight on my average that week. If that didnt worked in 2 weeks I dropped my calories. I allowed a cheatmeal a week or when I didnt drop enough I skipped it. Making those micro adjustments worked best for me.

A diet works if you are in a deficit. A certain diet is not a magic wand that melts fat. I would never be able to drop carbs and just substitute those calories with grams of protein or fat.

In the meantime I added a few pounds again, the motivation dropped, but if the gym re-opens i'm going to pick up the weights again. At one point I dropped to 75 grams of carbs a day, with eating almost 300 grams of protein a day, I was sick of fish and chicken...

@rushx9 we dropped meat last year for the main part of our diet, not going vegan but still not eating meat. I must say I didn't yet get health benefits from dropping meat which are obvious on how I feel or look, but also didn't get a blood test before and after so there is no real telling if it works or not.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Good job on trying to be healthy while smoking.... Just Kiddin!

I lost a few pounds (115 kg to 95 kg and dropping in fat%) in around 6 months with going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week with doing compound lifts, track my macros (not calories, macros, big difference) and fast for 12 to 16 hours. If I didn't worked out and my legs allowed me I walked 10K steps or took my bike for a spin. I started around 2200 calories with 200 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs and rest in fat calories, I adjusted just my macros (upped fat or protein and dropped carbs) when I didn't drop weight on my average that week. If that didnt worked in 2 weeks I dropped my calories. I allowed a cheatmeal a week or when I didnt drop enough I skipped it. Making those micro adjustments worked best for me.

A diet works if you are in a deficit. A certain diet is not a magic wand that melts fat. I would never be able to drop carbs and just substitute those calories with grams of protein or fat.

In the meantime I added a few pounds again, the motivation dropped, but if the gym re-opens i'm going to pick up the weights again. At one point I dropped to 75 grams of carbs a day, with eating almost 300 grams of protein a day, I was sick of fish and chicken...

@rushx9 we dropped meat last year for the main part of our diet, not going vegan but still not eating meat. I must say I didn't yet get health benefits from dropping meat which are obvious on how I feel or look, but also didn't get a blood test before and after so there is no real telling if it works or not.

Yeah, I’d have to give it up, too, if all I ate was fish or chicken. Fortunately there is plenty of variety within the types of meat available, further diversified by the plethora of ways each type of meat can be prepared. Toss in some eggs, cheese, and low net carb veggies, some keto bread/tortillas every now and then, and I’ve found it isn’t too difficult.

I won’t lie, I miss pizza and beer occasionally, but I get by with ribeyes and bourbon when I have specific cravings.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Yeah, I’d have to give it up, too, if all I ate was fish or chicken. Fortunately there is plenty of variety within the types of meat available, further diversified by the plethora of ways each type of meat can be prepared. Toss in some eggs, cheese, and low net carb veggies, some keto bread/tortillas every now and then, and I’ve found it isn’t too difficult.

I won’t lie, I miss pizza and beer occasionally, but I get by with ribeyes and bourbon when I have specific cravings.
Amen!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My advice is to expend more calories than you take in.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
My advice is to expend more calories than you take in.
Sorry but this is bad science. It is theoretical but statistically only works forpeople who don’t actually have a weight problem. Weight gain is a hormonal problem not calories in vs calories out. Insulin resistance is why so many people are obese. Your solution, while well intentioned, is not good science.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Sorry but this is bad science. It is theoretical but statistically only works forpeople who don’t actually have a weight problem. Weight gain is a hormonal problem not calories in vs calories out. Insulin resistance is why so many people are obese. Your solution, while well intentioned, is not good science.
It works?

but, I do understand based on your a1c, that you probably have type 2 diabetes

• Wow
Reactions: edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It works?

but, I do understand based on your a1c, that you probably have type 2 diabetes
What works? I don’t have diabetes, not even close. Calories in vs calories out has been debunked as ineffective for most people with weight issues. Intake of carbs, for most people, causes fat storage problems that are not solved by “moderation”, whatever that means. Eating fat as opposed to carbs causes the body to burn stored fat and creates many metabolic advantages. The food pyramid that has been literally shoved down our throats has been reversed and, I might add, this is not new science but a return to good science.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Really enjoyed Keto, only ate fat, red meat, organs and greens. Never felt better, it's just hard diet to keep up when you have a family to feed as well.

I just cook dinner for the family and cook my own separate meal. When it’s possible to do both, I do. It’s trying, at times, but my wife supports it so it isn’t usually too difficult. The hardest part, for me anyways, was getting my wife to let go of trying to make sure she accounted for me during meals, as well. Once I got her to focus on herself and the kids, and not to worry about me, it got quite a bit easier.

I can understand how my lifestyle makes it a bit easier, too. It’s not too difficult of a diet to follow when you have two freezers with over 100lbs of salmon fillets, ~200lbs of moose meat, ~200lbs of caribou meat, etc.

Plus, I do all of my own processing and butchering, so if I get in the mood for Italian sausage, I just grind a few pounds of meat and make some.

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
I just cook dinner for the family and cook my own separate meal. When it’s possible to do both, I do. It’s trying, at times, but my wife supports it so it isn’t usually too difficult. The hardest part, for me anyways, was getting my wife to let go of trying to make sure she accounted for me during meals, as well. Once I got her to focus on herself and the kids, and not to worry about me, it got quite a bit easier.

I can understand how my lifestyle makes it a bit easier, too. It’s not too difficult of a diet to follow when you have two freezers with over 100lbs of salmon fillets, ~200lbs of moose meat, ~200lbs of caribou meat, etc.

Plus, I do all of my own processing and butchering, so if I get in the mood for Italian sausage, I just grind a few pounds of meat and make some.
Sounds like a great stock in the freezer, just need a lot of fat to go with those lean meats. I was buying beef fat in 10lb increments, both kidney and trimmings. Can't wait till I move and can hunt again.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Sounds like a great stock in the freezer, just need a lot of fat to go with those lean meats. I was buying beef fat in 10lb increments, both kidney and trimmings. Can't wait till I move and can hunt again.

Well stocked on that, too. I keep 30-40 pounds of beef fat and pork fat in the freezer for grinding. Also, the cheese. Can’t forget the cheese! I haven’t gotten to the level of putting butter in my coffee, yet, however.

Reactions: danimalia and edger
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
What works? I don’t have diabetes, not even close. Calories in vs calories out has been debunked as ineffective for most people with weight issues. Intake of carbs, for most people, causes fat storage problems that are not solved by “moderation”, whatever that means. Eating fat as opposed to carbs causes the body to burn stored fat and creates many metabolic advantages. The food pyramid that has been literally shoved down our throats has been reversed and, I might add, this is not new science but a return to good science.
Just going on the a1c you posted.

All About Your A1C (cdc.gov)