Welcome new members. Introduce yourselves.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm with you Dunendain,

I've made this site my homepage.

The new guys haven't been posting much in the last couple of days.

I suppose the weather may have something to do with it.

There looks like 14+ new members in the last 3 days.
Welcome to you all.

We would love to hear from, and about you all.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Okee doke.
Ya want new here I am!
I'm so new I haven't even smoked a pipe yet. Really sort of shocking for a 42 year old man. But so it is.
However, I have been smoking a good bit of pipe tobacco. Let me explain.
I have been into Make Your Own (MYO) cigarettes (I know eee gads) for some time now. And not the way of the stereotype....hand rolling with some kind of drugstore garbage like Top or Zig Zag. There is a faction of the make your own (MYO) world that has long been into enjoyment of luxury tobaccos, exotics and even blending.
For quite some time the primary source of high quality cigarette blends and blenders was Daughters and Ryan Tobacco. Mark Ryan (subject of recent interview here regarding his role in furthering production of perique)began to take MYO cigarette tobacco into a new strata a number of years ago by offering high quality and exotic blends for use in cigarettes. Some of his blends include perique, latakia,yenidge, basma and a variety of other exotic orientals. Very high quality leaf in the hands of a creative perhaps even edgy blender. Hardly the stuff of the Marlboro crowd.
Then when the tax structure changed some of us began to branch out and look for honest, natural, non-aromatic pipe blends and blending components. At first sure...it was motivated by cost and availability. But then some of us discovered what we'd been missing. Sort of a whole new candy store.
Many of us blend daily and maintain quite a stash of blends and blend components just like our brothers who enjoy the pipe. On a similar forum we talk of best storage methods, equipment, brag about our purchase and growing stash, bicker about the best Flue Cured VA, or Dark Fired Kentucky, and generally indulge in conversing about a fascinating hobby and style of life.
So, I bore you with all this to explain to some degree how it is I end up here.
Through much reading, much trial and error, and a good bit of smoking, I'm to the place where I want to open the door farther to the world of luxury tobacco.
I have my first pipe (a humble Missouri cob) and several samples on order from Pipes and Cigars. I also have several G&H blends (Kendal Dark, Dark Bullseye) Hearth and Home (Rolando's Own, Capital Stairs, VA Spice and others) on hand as they make a wonderful smoke in the other format.
When the brown truck arrives I plan to begin fumbling my way through pipe smoking virginity.
So all advice, tips recommendations are welcome...needed really. And I will check back with my experiences which I'm sure will be primarily rookie mistakes in the near term.
RJ

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site Jonesing!
I also smoke MYO. I really love pipes. One tip that I can give you about smoking pipes is to not inhale while you're smoking pipes. It might be hard to remember not to do it at the beginning, but you will be glad that you don't do it.
Although there is a day and night difference between manufactured cigarettes and MYO, pipes are more for relaxation and taste than nicotine, but there are some blends that contain a good amount of nicotine.
Since you are completely new to pipe smoking, you might want to look at my column (blog) here With Pipe and Pen. I have a lot of articles and videos that will help you out on your journey into pipes. Make sure that you peruse the whole site and read all of the articles. Kevin writes great stuff as well so be sure to enjoy browsing the site!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome jonesing. You said
I plan to begin fumbling my way through pipe smoking virginity.

Well, maybe with respect to the pipe, and everything that it entails. But to me it sounds like you've already got an educated palate; so we can all learn quite a bit from you! So I'm looking forward to your frequent posts. (I wouldn't mind getting a few of those famous Texas bar-b-q recipes too! ;)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Jonesing,

Welcome to this League of Extraordinary Men... and women of course.

There has been some really informative posts concerning beginning techniques, lately.

i.e. pages 6 and 7 of this string.
Once again welcome to the fraternity.

We all look forward to your posts.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
OK I'm in.
I didn't set the house on fire. I didn't puke. I didn't fry my tongue. In fact I enjoyed it quite a bit.
I got sick of waiting for my P&C order (only been a few days) so I went to Walgreens, bought a Dr. Grabow Duke, and went to smokin'.
For a first ever blend I chose Escudo. I figured if you're gonna go....go big. Based on my MYO experience I had a hunch a VaPer would suit me. I make many cigarette blends with VAs and perique. Escudo is an icon...so what the hell let's make it memorable.
I also figured I'd start with a flake so the rest would be downhill. I'm familiar with handling and rubbing tobacco having rubbed pipe cuts to a suitable state for stuffing a butt and that part all went pretty well. I've also loaded many a pipe in my time just more of the small glass variety. So I just went with instinct there and it seemed to work OK.
So any way. Yeah I fumbled a bit to keep the damned thing lit. (I will dry it down a bit more next time). It was all new and so hard to fully appreciate. I felt a little like I feel when I dance- no rhythm and goofy looking. But I dig it. I get the attraction and will be back for some practice.
Oh and yes I like the blend. The VA played similar to the way it does in the other format and the perique was there. But clearly I had way too much to think about and far to unpracticed technique and palate for the pipe to really get it. But it speaks in the language I'm accustomed to in MYO and I think I can learn to translate. Nice to have a reference.
So,there it is. I've popped my cherry. Now I just might become promiscuous.
We shall see.
RJ

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well I guess I'll make a cameo appearance since I already made somewhat of a introduction post in another section. Well I'm from Jacksonville, Florida and have been smoking pipes for about 6 to 7 years now. I started about 17 as more or less as a traditional thing cause all them men in my family smoke pipes. I always liked cigars more until I figured I try the manly thing in my family and smoke a pipe. Needless to say I loved it. I inherited a good bit of my grandfather and great grandfathers pipes when they died and have been collecting ever since. My favorite tobacco's are actually from a local shop of mine( they have a lot of English brands I love). My favorite pipes that I own as of now are Peterson(could be a bias to my Scotch-Irish backgrounds though).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome again surfmac211.
Do you shop at Tobacco Cove?
We were in Jacksonville on Christmas visiting relatives. I was sick in the hotel and didn't get to go, but while I was sleeping, my girlfriend went to Tobacco Cove and got me some Christmas gifts there.
I think they have two stores. She went to the one at Baymeadows Rd & San Jose Blvd.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Hi Jonesing,
I know you from the forums at RYO Revolution, you know me as Matt.
Nice to see you here and I hope pipe smoking turns out to be as much of a fun hobby for you as RYO.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah Matt. The poor guy I PM'd s bunch of times the other day when i meant Mart. By the way I did enjoy the other smoking link you sent. Haven't tried it yet but I will.
Good to see ya brotha.
RJ

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I myself, am a refugee from another pipe smoking site. It was called elitist yuppies and angry mountain men .com :)

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
Sorry, cart before the horse and all that. This should have been my first stop but what the hey. I am a 57 year old life long resident of Oregon (that's or-e-gun not or-a-gone in spite of what you see on TV). Took up the pipe at around age 20 in part because my dad was a pipe smoker. I like entering my home and getting a whiff of the same aroma that used to greet me when I got home from school. It turns out you can go home again at least after a fashion. I am a big fan of the codger burleys Half and Half, Prince Albert, and the like. I also make lots of room in the cellar for most any SG flake, McClelland, Pease, Peterson, or Rattray. Pipes run the same overall range. the rotation has Kaywoodie (40's and 50's vintage or new era pipes, I pass on the pipes in their so-so years). Peterson, Custombilt, Weber, Savinelli, GBD, Stanwell...you get the idea. Nothing flashy just good solid pipes. Anyway, I will try to not give the place a bad name, and thanks for letting me play in your yard.
Jim

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Welcome Jim, glad to have to you in our yard. Sounds like a great pipe collection. I have always wanted to take the Amtrak up to Oregon. It seems like every time I hear someone is moving from here in Ca., they are headed to Oregon. So, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.