Welcome New Members. Introduce Yourself. (2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
Welcome all new members sit back relax light your pipe and discuss anything pipe, tobacco related, or anything at all

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Hi everyone, been reading the post here for A coup[le of days, seems like A nice group of folks, nice to be A part of the bunch

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
Sorry I feel as though I have fallen behind. Hello to all the new members and I look forward to reading your posts!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome to all the newest members.

Got another one from Alabama, very cool.

We look forward to all y'all's pics and posts.

Southern Dictionary: (y'all is singular) (All y'all is plural)

Jun 21, 2010
I am kind of an ancient figure known primarily for his bald head and wheeled out on special occasions as a curiosity. :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome 112,
We're glad to have you counted among us fellow pipe smokers.

I look forward to your posts and pictures of your pipes.

Just dive right in.

There's a good bunch of guys and gals here.
Again: Welcome 112.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Hello everyone, my name is William Alexander I live just outside of Birmingham, AL in a city called Pinson.
I smoked my first pipe sometime in 1988 and continued smoking until sometime in 1992 when my first son was born and the pipes were exiled.
I only remember couple of tobaccos from back in the day. A store mix (North Shore) and Dunhill’s Nightcap. Sadden to learn Nightcap is no longer made or available here.
Now that my boys are older and can understand the difference between pipe smoking and cigarettes, the pipes have been welcomed back into the clan.
In the last month I’ve cleaned up my pipes as best I can (still some heavy oxidation on the stems) and have tried the following tobaccos. Please note that my tobacco education is at the elementary level and I would not try review anything at this point but would like to mention how I liked these so maybe someone can give some suggestions.
Maltese Falcon: Excellent

Westminster: Excellent

My Mixture 965: Great

1Q: Good

My Morning Mixture local blend: Good

Escudo: Good

Esoterica’s Dorchester: Fair to Good

Mac Baren’s Navy Flake: Fair to Good

Mac Baren’s Plumcake: Fair

Peterson’s Irish Flake: Average to Fair

Davidoff’s English Mixture: Average to Fair

Davidoff’s Scottish Mixture: I’ll trade this near full tin minus one bowl for anything (used Sanka coffee grounds, newspaper from the bottom of the bird cage, old toe nail clippings)
I have nine pipes and with the exception of two purchases this month, they all are from the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Brebbia bent billiard

Two Comoy’s (one is the Christmas 1988 special)

GBD prince

Peterson straight stem but does not work.

Savinelli

Stanwell second, straight billiard
This month I bought a rusticated Stefano and straight stem Falcon.
I’m looking forward to meeting you all and exploring the site.
Best Regards

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Glad to have you William,
Just dive right in my friend. If you need advise or opinions, we have a lot of folks with bellybuttons around here.
I hope I run into you at Skip's, or we can arrange to hold down a couple of seats in the smoking lounge for a while.

The 965 isn't available right now either.

I used to love North Shore as well.

It was one of my standard bulk buys.... back in the day.

I'll see you and talk to you soon.

Oh by the way.... Do you know Raymond? On here he is "Birmingham0irsh" in here.

He made us Briay guys proud at the National Pipe Smoking Championship by winning this year.

Lawrence

PS My Dad live in Pinson.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Hi all! Call me Dave. I'm in my 40s, and I took up pipe smoking just last year. Never been a cigar or cigarette user. Never knew anyone in my family who smoked a pipe. It was kind of an impulse thing when I walked into a tobacco shop in a North Carolina mall. The tobacconist was a friendly fellow who got me started with a cob and some 1-Q. I still have a cob, but I have since added a nice little Italian briar. I would love to collect more pipes, but my budget says otherwise. Better to spend what little I can on some quality tobacco for now.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum!
Your story sounds like mine. Enjoy your pipe, and don't be intimidated by the guys that hang around here with 50-500 pipes and tobacco stashes that have their own zip code! :-D Everyone's great and helpful at answering questions.
Simon

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Hi Dave, one thing to consider is getting a low-cost used (estate) pipe off of ebay. Sometimes they can be had for under $10, of course those will need a little work. A little fine sanding and tung oil and you can make those dogs look really good. There is also a technique for refreshing the bowl using salt and alcohol. Of course if you save up 25 bucks you could get a new Dr. Grabow briar. That's just one trip to the Plasma center!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Dave,
We've got pipe smokers of all stripes.

Some like me who bought their first pipes in the last century, and those that started only a month ago.

It don't matter when, just that you enjoy your new hobby.

Welcome to the fraternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.