Welcome New Members. Introduce Yourself. (2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Anstead's Tobacco in the Cross Creek Mall, Fayetteville, NC
http://www.ansteadstobacco.com/
Good people. Nice store.

myork82

Lurker
Jun 23, 2010
Hello all! I'm a father, husband, and firefighter from Arkansas. There are several members of my department that smoke pipes and they have really helped me to grow my passion for pipes. I didn't realize that pipe smoking was so big, but I am quickly learning. I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge and enjoyment of pipe smoking through the forum. Already picking up some info and help.

muradsay

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
Greetings fellow puffers, I am a 65 y.o. who started his romance of the briar at age 15...so long ago that I could actually walk into my local tobacconists and be waited on as if I were an adult. I quit for a while but eventually decided that life is too short to forgo anything as fine as a bowl of Full Va Flake, Westminster, Anikake, Golden Slices, etc. My pipes are a motley crew of a Savinelli 316, Stanwells (5) a Guildhall, a Sasieni 4-dot, a Peterson p-lip, a Johs churchwarden, a Neerup bent apple (my current favorite) and a few I have made myself.
After a career making collectible knives, my present occupation is that of artist, and I most often paint with a pipe in my mouth, lit or not. When I slide my chair back to look at what has transpired, lighting up a bowl seems to help me to consider it.
If anybody has a handle on when Samuel Gawith's FVF....and apparently ALL other SG tobaccos...will be available, I would love to know.
Murad Sayen, in Maine
http://murad-sayen.artistwebsites.com/

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Murad...welcome to the forum....your art work is stunning, I'd give my left testicle to be able to paint like that. As one of your visitors comments said, " Is that a painting, or a photograph? "
This one is just breathtaking.

donna.jpg

Do you have pictures of your custom knives you make?
Now I realize I'm just a no talent goof ball ...LOL
Can you post up some pics of your pipes you've made?

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I second that! Amazing work. Welcome, Murad. There seems to be a small knot of artists developing here.
Simon

muradsay

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
Jeezum, guys, now I am embarrassed. I paint because I must. I have to do it for the sake of my sanity and my soul, and if you do anything with focus and intent long enough you will get results that you like. It is almost an inevitability.....really.
You can see a gallery of the knives I made at: http://www.shadowchasers.com/knife_index.php That seems like it all happened in another lifetime now, however.
Not exactly sure how to upload a jpg that isn't already online...or I would share the humble pipes I made. It is REALLY hard to find briar plateaus that don't have flaws rendering them useless. Or maybe I just don't know where to look, eh.
thanks for the kind words....nice to be among people who know what it means to settle in with a bowl of fine 'baccy.
murad

Jun 21, 2010
murad, welcome and WOW your paintings are so great! realism....i love realism in painting and you have it by the nose. you are blessed to have such talent, and be such a great guy to be a pipe smoker too. (i also came back to the pipe, and i will be 63 in a week).

jerry

muradsay

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
Hey hobie1dog, I have always believed that artistic talent is a blend of dogged persistence (pun intended in your case, eh) and being willing to learn from your mistakes. I teach a class in oils on Friday mornings and we've had this as an ongoing discussion for a very long time.
If you saw my early works..in any medium...you would not think I was particularly gifted. You might see that I have certain themes I am drawn to--such as rendering different qualities of light--but you wouldn't think, "Wow!", not at all.
But--and my dear wife, Abby, might tell you it is both a blessing and a curse--I have always been one of those human terriers who just can't let go of something, once my interest has been piqued. Most folks give it a shot and then say, "Well, I don't have a 'gift' for this, so I think I'll do something else." But, anybody who thinks, "Well, this really sucks, but, I know I can do better," is on their way to becoming good at whatever it is.
all, in my humble opinion, of course.....but, based on many decades of experience too, eh.
Murad

muradsay

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
Forgive me if I pry, but the handle "112mercerstreet" caught my attention. You see, I grew up in Princeton NJ and when I was a young choir boy at Trinity Church....I used to see Albert Einstein walking up Mercer Street on occasion. In fact, the director would actually pause our practice and say, "Gentlemen, there goes Dr. Einstein," with such reverence that we all just assumed that the little old man with the pipe and the wild hair was a very cool guy. Little did we know just how cool he was.
So, might that be the same Mercer Street? Please forgive a bit of 'small world' curiosity on my part. It's also a wee bit of pipe lore too, eh.
Murad
Murad

Jun 21, 2010
yes, 112 Mercer St. was the professors home address. Never met or even saw the man, but he maybe is the "man of the century". just read 2 books on him.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Murad.

Beautiful work Murad, glad to have you.
I continue to marvel at the diversity of talents and occupations of the members here.

Artists, musicians, salesmen, lawyers (the good kind), businessmen, Jacks of all trades, models, just plain folks and pipe smokers all.
To all you new members, welcome.

Don't be shy just dive right in.

We all love the posts, pictures, and questions here.
Pleasant puffin'

dunhillmanuk

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
HI GUYS

MY NAME IS CHRIS AND I AM FROM ENGLAND

LOOKING FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU AND GETTING ADVICE FROM THE EXPERTS

CHRIS

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Dunhill,
We're glad to have another of our brothers from across the pond.

I am personally looking forward to seeing your collection, if your screen name is any indicator of your collection.
Just dive right in and again welcome to the fraternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.